How Hard Is It To Follow Roadsigns

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Over the last two years or so we have had roadworks nearby reconfiguring the roundabout at the junction of the A45, A6 and a fifth minor road. The new design is imaginative in that the Westbound A45 goes through the middle. Over the last weekend a major part of the roundabout has been opened in its new configuration. There are traffic lights controlling the flow and both clear roadmarkings and overhead gantry signs telling you which lane to use. Yet we have people on the local Facebook page saying they are getting confused, have no idea where to go and have gone round the roundabout twice. The majority of comments though have been positive.

How difficult is it to read a sign either overhead or on the road and get yourself into the right lane? Should some people not be driving if they cannot follow simple signage?

Chowns Mill.JPG

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That doesn't look too bad from the aerial view but there is a tricky junction of the M6 (Junction 7) that's the only one I know that can be tricky to get the hang of, and I spend a lot of time driving. All it takes in reality is to merge into the right lane.

junction-7-of-the-m6-motorway-at-great-barr-birmingham-england-D3304A.jpeg

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Surely it's just people driving on "auto-pilot", who are accustomed to the old configuration and will soon adapt to the new one?
Let's be honest, we all do it!

However - I do think that there has been a huge increase in road signage and furniture in the time that I've been driving (32 years), which makes it easier to miss something.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Half the problem is that there are a lot of people that don't look much past their bonnet or if they do, don't think ahead, so suddenly they are in the wrong lane and can't switch as it's too late for last minute manoeuvres.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Some may well be following Sat Navs that haven't been updated with the new road layout. ;)

NB. Just this once this comment wasn't directed @sly. :)
These are local people who drive through the roundabout every day and have had nearly two years to follow the roadworks, erection of signs, painting of new roadmarkings.

I have driven on a 16 lane highway in the US and had no difficulty, just got under the sign that had my destination on it.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Oh well, be careful out there Neil!! Obviously south northants is full of 'em!!
locals that is! :)

I'm old enough to remember that roundabout when it was a simple "4 way" ... when the A6 came through Higham Ferrers, before the bypass was built.
One day I was approaching down the hill from higham ferrers in pretty heavy rain ... and aquaplaned straight on to roundabout. Heaven knows how I missed the island (albeit considerably smaller than the one there today).
Luckily was a sunday morning, so not busy (in those days).
My buttocks clenched just thinking about that!!!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Personally I think a lot of what goes off on the roads today is down to peoples attitude. No pne seems to give a #### which amazes me when you think of how much vehicles cost. 🤷‍♂️

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Oh well, be careful out there Neil!! Obviously south northants is full of 'em!!
locals that is! :)

I'm old enough to remember that roundabout when it was a simple "4 way" ... when the A6 came through Higham Ferrers, before the bypass was built.
One day I was approaching down the hill from higham ferrers in pretty heavy rain ... and aquaplaned straight on to roundabout. Heaven knows how I missed the island (albeit considerably smaller than the one there today).
Luckily was a sunday morning, so not busy (in those days).
My buttocks clenched just thinking about that!!!
We are now North Northants, since the old council went bust.

MrBen

Site Supporter
Personally I think a lot of what goes off on the roads today is down to peoples attitude. No pne seems to give a #### which amazes me when you think of how much vehicles cost. 🤷‍♂️
That’s because they’ve insured it, it’s full of airbags and it’s not going to be their fault. I think the sooner we make cars less comfortable the sooner people driving attitudes might change.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
That’s because they’ve insured it, it’s full of airbags and it’s not going to be their fault. I think the sooner we make cars less comfortable the sooner people driving attitudes might change.
That’s exactly what my missus says is that. 👍

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
You want to try one of the roundabouts in Warrington.
It's a case of " first come ,first served"

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@Maesknoll ive had the pleasure of that particular roundabout, while from the air it looks ok but on the ground for the fist time it's mighty confusing I was only on it for 5 minutes got dizzy and got off, thankfully the right exit.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Apart from being Britain’s oldest recorded town this is one of Colchester’s claims to fame. First one in the country I believe. Fairly straight forward to navigate but people still go out of their way to avoid it.
See the Zebra crossings? Who in their right mind puts them on a roundabout exit🤬🤬🤬

Attachments

• 528A3A87-CF37-48C2-A63E-CF479DCAB793.jpeg
    528A3A87-CF37-48C2-A63E-CF479DCAB793.jpeg
    464.6 KB · Views: 15

davylad

Site Supporter
I'm going to London tomorrow via the M1 from Hull. I'll be coming off the M1 at it's terminus, and picking up the A5 ( Edgeware Road ) to our destination, ( Hamstead ) no problem. I'd hopefully like someone in the know, to tell me if I can pick the M1 up at the same location on my return, as I'm not sure you can? All the route finders send me back via Finchley Road, Hendon Way etc to pick the M1 up further north. So come on you Londoners, help me out, I'll be going to bed at ten. (y)

Chervil

Site Supporter
One junction I could never work out is the M11/A428. If you are leaving the A428 you come off on the bottom loop to join the M11, if you are leaving the M11 you come off along the slip road and go around the top loop. Which sounds simple. What it means is that traffic joining the M11 and traffic leaving it share the same slip road alongside the M11. Vehicles leaving the A428 are on the left, but need to get to the right and traffic, leaving the M11 are on the right, but need to get to the left, all in a few hundred yards. So everyone is crossing over each other. They seem to have realised, so are now changing the layout.

Picture1.png

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I would expect there to be a lot more 'incidents' than there are at the junction I mentioned. It would jam up Great Barr and the M6 even more if there was one. I get cluster headaches just thinking about that junction. :LOL:

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
There’s one near here. Four lanes at the roundabout, left for left turn. Two in middle for straight on, one on the right for right turn. All clearly marked with enough notice plus road signs that are easy to spot and read and understand. Yet people still get it all wrong, or are they queue jumping?? My mate got took out and both insurance settle on 50/50 blame even though he was in right lane for turning right and a numpty shot pass in wrong lane.