How hard can it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lp1886

Right boys and girls, I have had a quote for new fascia boards and guttering and it seems astronomical! The house is a semi detached, with 3 straight sides (ie not gable ended). I have looked on several websites and the panels, vents, corner joins, and guttering can be bought for peanuts, so how come quotes run into several thousands of pounds? I appreciate that every business needs to make a profit, but time to erect scaffolding, rip off the original timber, fix upvc boards cannot be too technically challenging, and with 2 people would probably be 2 full days work - 1 to strip, 1 to fit. Therefore I am wondering if anyone has done this themselves? And if so, did you regret not getting in the professionals afterwards? Just looking for advice before shelling out a small fortune on a bit of plastic.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Think you've answered your own question [:T] If ya think ya can do it yer sen have a go [:T]

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
Go and see the owner of match catch ,Paul hurst ask him for a price .

nutmeg

Site Supporter
My mate was in that trade approx a year ago and then the very top rate was 130 per metre, so if you said 150 per metre now that would give you a fair idea of what you should be paying.

JohnC

Bottom row of tiles, at least, will have to come off. Chancies are the under felt will be rotten , so the next row of tiles might have to be shifted and new batten/undereaves/vents fitted. No gable? That probably means the bottom hip tiles will have to come off without disturbing the rest. Nothing to it really!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've done quite a bit of it and several points, not all plastics are the same and it's a case of you get what you pay for. Cheap plastic tends to discolour quickly as the surface grain traps dirt.
Also, some black plastic doesn't look black once the sun is shining on it, the foil wrap can also blister.

As regards doing it yourself, the theory behind replacing fascia boards, soffits and guttering is a lot easier than the practical side of it.
Don't attempt it without platforms or scaffolding, and don't be tempted to overboard the existing fascias with covers as you'll end up trapping any rot in.
Likewise, always fit drip trays under the existing felt to prevent moisture running and collecting behind the fascias or worst still soaking into the joist ends.
And don't forget if you are boxing in your joist ends with soffit and fascia to make provision for ventilation, we tend to use vent strips that fit discreetly onto the top of the fascia board as it is a lot neater than vented soffit

willsmodger

I follow P.J.O'Roarke's dictum regarding D.I.Y.
There are jobs too small to bother with and big jobs that require an expert.
If you leave the first alone for long enough it turns into the second.
I blame makeover shows. Transforming a house in five minutes. What they don't show you is the amount of stuff required to do it.
By the time you have finished you realise it wouldn't have cost much more to get a bloke in.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by willsmodger

I follow P.J.O'Roarke's dictum regarding D.I.Y.
There are jobs too small to bother with and big jobs that require an expert.
If you leave the first alone for long enough it turns into the second.
I blame makeover shows. Transforming a house in five minutes. What they don't show you is the amount of stuff required to do it.
By the time you have finished you realise it wouldn't have cost much more to get a bloke in.

If only we had a like button.......

DIY is the work of the devil. Get someone in whose trade it is and then go fishing whilst they play that trade, that's my motto!

Bittell

ACCOUNT LOCKED
Our house has fibre board soffits and fascias which don't rot. We got fed up painting them though so had them all overboarded and new guttering. 4 Bed detached cost 750...that was 15 years ago mind, but it still looks good.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The only cost effective option with fibreboard soffits is to cover them as it is hard to dispose of them due to risk of asbestos content.
Likewise removing them requires testing before hand to ensure you know what's in there and what you are disturbing.

I've yet to come across fibre board fascia though.

Bittell

ACCOUNT LOCKED
It's a 1970 built timber framed house and has similar boarding on each gable end, which we are considering boarding over to avoid the 3 yearly painting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.