How Fresh ?

Wily Coyote

Site Supporter
Following on from the Bran/Sawdust thread I very rarely use maggots, partly because I don't particularly like using them and partly because they seem fairly small and condition never seems very good. Most of my club matches are on a Saturday so would have to buy them at the latest Friday afternoon but I know that all the tackle shops in my area receive their maggot deliveries on a Tuesday so by the weekend they are already old. Do you guys have the same problems or are yours much fresher ?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I have maggots in the fridge that are at least two, possibly three weeks old. Still catching fish.

As for size, pinkies and squatts are smaller as are 2mm expanders. While I don't use squatts I do use the other two and catch all sizes of fish on them.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
pot luck somedays

it depends on the demand, the get older in the winter when not so many venture out

ATTICUS FINCH

I'm a little more fortunate in being that my local shop has its maggot delivery Thursday afternoon.i have in the past asked if they have any left over from the previous week as these get used for loose feed and the fresher ones are then for the hook. Can't say it makes any difference but I like to think so.

RMNDIL

So long as the maggots were fresh when delivered to the shop and the shop kept them well fridged I would not be worried at all if the shop's were from a Tuesday and I bought them on the Friday/Saturday. I keep maggots for 2, 3, 4, 5 weeks depending upon what i'm fishing for etc. But I don't like keeping them a long time if i'm turning casters as they shrink too much

Browner

Stopped using maggots a couple of years ago and haven’t looked back. Most of my fishing is now with bread and find the quality of fish much better. Dont seemed to get pestered by the bleak and tiny roach.

Zerkalo

These are the freshest/biggest maggots I got recently. Not my usual shop but the one near my Brothers house. Caught 25lb of Chub on them. But no feed spot clearly visible? Apparently because they've been fed on something different?

View attachment IMG_5146.m4v

Robwooly

I feel around for the biggest maggot in my pouch to go on the hook, It's an OCD thing bit like the tennis players who get three balls and throw two back before they serve with what they perceive to be the quickest ball.

Despite this I don't worry about the 'freshness', like others I've had some of my best days on old maggots and I mean really old. Adding flavouring can offset any ammonia smells and fish don't really feel around for the freshest bait like Roger Federer does for that 'ace' tennis ball. They may smell the tastiest bait who knows? I would rather fish old flavoured maggots than new sawdust ones unflavoured. Flavourings work, there is a reason why tackle shops are the sweetest smelling retail outlets on the high streets after all.

Having said all that I really hate it when the quality isn't there from the tackle shop on purchase, re the orininal post I'd just flavour them if you feel they aren't as fresh as you would like and have the confidence that they will do a great job

Last edited:

nutmeg

Site Supporter
I have four local tackle stores, that all sell maggots, all four get there maggots from the same supplier, two of these stores know how to store and look after them, one store is ok if you want some just for feeding in bulk, not as hook bait though, the other stores so called fresh maggots are just left to there own devices, and always stink of ammonia. The store is basically only interested in carp or predator fishing anglers, anything for an easy life it seems, a shame really as otherwise a decent store.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
They always seem in decent condition from my local shops and easily last a week or two in the fridge. I think they get quite good turn over so don't sit in the shops long as with most anglers here being river or specimen alongside hemp maggots are the most sold bait.

dealornodeal

Site Supporter
Mine are always fresh as im able to go to the local bait garm to collect them only 5 mins awy in the car nearest tackle shop 20 mins away, its a no brainer really (y)

nutmeg

Site Supporter
I've kept them for weeks in the shed in winter, feed them some raw steak offcuts.
I was always led to believe that once maggots came off the feed, that they were bred on, that they no longer fed.
Have you noticed if the steak off cuts have actually been eaten at all? Just curious mate.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I was always led to believe that once maggots came off the feed, that they were bred on, that they no longer fed.
Have you noticed if the steak off cuts have actually been eaten at all? Just curious mate.
Bet me to it. That’s what I was told many years ago.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Yes, they would eat through it leaving a tunnel shaped hole, done it out of curiosity more than anything, whether it fattens them or makes them last longer I couldn't be 100 percent sure.