How efficient are you when setting up for a match .

Cantor1987

Just thought I’d get some ideas on others pre match set ups wether there’s any tips from others on here I could use.

Currently get set up just in time normally with a minute or 2 to spare or just over the all in but I can’t help but feel it all feels rushed.

More often than not it’s around an hour from draw to the all in .

My current way is in this order

Seatbox first - making sure beat I can it’s flat and in desirable position .

Feeder arms/roosts/tool bar/ followed by side tray.

Any rods that are required next, clipping up etc if any islands to Chuck to .

Rolllers.

Landing net handle and top kits out next with landing net in position and top kits on roost .

Next part is where I feel I can definitely be more
Efficient - Pole out , put rigs from winders on to pole , hook lengths on , plumb up - more often than not end up having to cut all lashes down and retire a loop and connect back up again .

Bait on tray is abit here there and everywhere sometime put it on straight away , sometimes last.

I don’t feel like I give myself enough time to have a good plumb around my peg to decide on where to fish , always feel in a rush .

How is everyone else’s routine and is there any advice to make things more easy .

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
That's pretty much the way I go. However I save time by plumbing up with the same rig in different spots.
String your shot out on a rig at even intervals and plumb the deepest part first, then move the float to set the depth.
Use the same rig for other areas but use the shot as a gauge of the depths then set your other topkits to that. Once in use you can fine-tune them.

What you have to remember is to try to create as little disturbance on the bank and in the water as possible. The more you create the more chance you have of spooking any fish out of the peg, and then it will take longer to get them back in, if you can that is.
Even putting keepnets in, clip them up to the accessory bar if you use one, then lower them into the water with your landing net handle, don't just chuck them in. Fish aren't as daft as we like to think and they soon associate splashing of nets and bankside noise with danger.

Godber

.Nobice and inventor of W@nkles
Site Supporter
Keep your tool bar permanently on your box and use your keepnet as a rod rest, clip on a clothes peg to butt the rod against.
Groundbait, micros, expanders prepare at home before you set off.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I do exactly as Cantor does, but then discover that I'm on the wrong peg, pack up and start again. ;-)

PS- Mick, doesn't that putting the peg on a keepnet muck up the fish count?

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Cantor ,I do nearly the same as you, except I do my bait and lay out the trays with bits and bobs before I put my rigs onto the top kits.
Reason I do top kits and plumbing dead last is pole does not get set up until I am ready to do the top kits,
it has a couple of advantages, everyone is likely at their peg by then so no one shuffling past a set up pole, it also allows me to move around my peg more freely doing my bait without an accident happening with me breaking my pole.

Doing the rigs last also gives me all the time remaining to determine where to fish, most people have plumbed by now and you have a fair idea where they will be, so it gives you the option of picking a different line to them and allowing yourself a bigger area.

I also do the same as Dave said and try to find different areas with the same rig and try to limit the amount of rigs so not to overcomplicate it.

Nothing wrong in only being ready a few minutes before the all in, I am normally like that every match, using the last minutes to explore the peg with a plummet or just put out rigs to see how they sit in the water.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Draw first, can get you 10 minutes more setting up time.
I used to set up box attachments when loading box onto trolley.
Then on bank would add any more needed well back from peg.
Then box carried and placed in position.
Doing this away from peg allowed quicker movement and full 360 deg access to all parts of box rather than trying not to fall in.
All rods in ready sleeves.
Knowing venue - rigs tied to suit.

ATTICUS FINCH

Site Supporter
It really depends on the venue and the tactics that you intend to use .
For me it's set the box up out the net or nets in and then sort the g/bait if I need any.
Then it's all the box attachments followed by the pole or rods being set up . Last thing is bait on the tray and riddle the g/bait,, depending on venue this can take half an hour to an hour and a half .

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
In many cases you can probably guess what rigs you want for the day and approximate depths. I turn up with my rigs attached to my top kits. I use the Cresta aligners between the two top kit sections which are designed so you can hoop the rig over and then have a Preston hook up so you don’t have lots of elastic stretched out (the aligners also protect the elastic if you don’t have a kit on). I make the rigs up a bit longer than needed and then adjust the lash to the conditions and actual depth. At the end I put them away the same way so pack up quicker (and if pleasure fishing get an extra 5/10 minutes fishing time!) and sort them back on to winders at home.

My video called perfect top kit set up on my YouTube channel shows a practical demonstration (around 13 minutes in). Getting the top kits out onto the roost with rigs on takes seconds, obviously only works in depths up to your top kit length, so around 7ft rig (plus a foot spare at the top).

Matrix do a doobry which allows you to do similar but I found it a bit faffy and no good if you have an aligner/elastic protector in your top kit.

The Cresta aligners are these:

Whisker

Here, there and everywhere.
Site Supporter
I usually set up like this:

Box set level
Sidetray and bait
keepnets laid out
Landing net put together
Feeder arm, pole sock, top kit roost
Top kits and cup kit set up and on roost
Rollers set up
Pole set up and rollers adjusted
Sit down and plumb up

Usually follow the same routine, can throw me out of sync and I’m all sixes and sevens if I don’t… 😂

MarkW

In the days when I fished evening matches a couple of miles down the road on a stillwater you had 15 minutes from draw to start. Set up keepnet and landing net, set up one waggler rod or pole depending on peg, sort out bait, start fishing. 10 minutes to get sorted.

chris1967

Really Really
Site Supporter
I get out my lead rod select a hook length,either a qm1 12 or 14 and I’m ready lol

No bit more to it than that, most of my rigs are left on top kits , practice and routine is key .takes me about 35 / 40 minutes
Don’t set everything up fish to your abilities

an angler

to much gear i see some anglers with up to five rods 6 or seven pole tops all on roost and rest for a five hour match .the fish take the bait on the hook and hook length .,,,,,, anglers have to many options and confuse themselves.... .the fish are not bothered about what we sit on or how much gear we have.....and the excuses are confidence,,, you never know what you may need..... top match anglers do it,,,,,.if the kits not complete you can,t compete ...it might just get you that extra fish ect ect .what it is really is marketing ,,,you see top anglers with tons of free kit .they win one in twenty matches ,we all think i have to be like that tons of gear not free... .then what do these same top anglers keep saying// KEEP IT SIMPLE// something is simple and its not all that gear,,,.little and often don,t over complicate things ect ect ect .i remember back in the day top canal anglers saying get a whip of 3mtrs oh and 4 and 5 oh and 6 7 and of course 8 thats 6 whips and thousands did ,then it dawned on them if they got an 8 mtr take apart whip they only needed one ...to late money spent .we do all really have to take a good hard look at our gear .we have gone from needing a car to a small van to a transit type van what next a h g v..top dart players use one set of darts .are we now tackle tarted to the max .

booboo

Site Supporter
Doesn't seem to matter if I have 20 mins or 2hrs to set up, I'm usually still flapping about trying to plumb up for the first few minutes after the all in.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
On the matches I fish we generally have 45 minutes and the answer is; not very efficient but it's something I'm working on. The best thing I've done thus far is leave all my attachments on my box now.

Stewie74

Making it up as I go along…..
Site Supporter
to much gear i see some anglers with up to five rods 6 or seven pole tops all on roost and rest for a five hour match .the fish take the bait on the hook and hook length .,,,,,, anglers have to many options and confuse themselves.... .the fish are not bothered about what we sit on or how much gear we have.....and the excuses are confidence,,, you never know what you may need..... top match anglers do it,,,,,.if the kits not complete you can,t compete ...it might just get you that extra fish ect ect .what it is really is marketing ,,,you see top anglers with tons of free kit .they win one in twenty matches ,we all think i have to be like that tons of gear not free... .then what do these same top anglers keep saying// KEEP IT SIMPLE// something is simple and its not all that gear,,,.little and often don,t over complicate things ect ect ect .i remember back in the day top canal anglers saying get a whip of 3mtrs oh and 4 and 5 oh and 6 7 and of course 8 thats 6 whips and thousands did ,then it dawned on them if they got an 8 mtr take apart whip they only needed one ...to late money spent .we do all really have to take a good hard look at our gear .we have gone from needing a car to a small van to a transit type van what next a h g v..top dart players use one set of darts .are we now tackle tarted to the max .
Well, that’s one way of looking at it 🙄

JLK

You need to know what depths you are fishing on your chosen venue.
Then the biggest time saver would be to set your rigs up at home on your top kits and shot them up as close as you can in a shotting tube as close to perfect as you can get.
Always use at least 3-4 no 12/13 stotz as trimming shot above your main shotting so you can adjust on the bank.
Make the rigs up as exact as you can for depth plus lash length and wind them up on individual winders then keep them fastened to your top kits using a knotted loop of elastic.
Put them in a top kit holder and all you have to do on the day is unravel the rig on the winder and fasten the top kit together and plumb up 👍🏻

Total

Site Supporter
You need to know what depths you are fishing on your chosen venue.
Then the biggest time saver would be to set your rigs up at home on your top kits and shot them up as close as you can in a shotting tube as close to perfect as you can get.
Always use at least 3-4 no 12/13 stotz as trimming shot above your main shotting so you can adjust on the bank.
Make the rigs up as exact as you can for depth plus lash length and wind them up on individual winders then keep them fastened to your top kits using a knotted loop of elastic.
Put them in a top kit holder and all you have to do on the day is unravel the rig on the winder and fasten the top kit together and plumb up 👍🏻
"Do you actually fish matches?":unsure::whistle::ROFLMAO:

JLK

Was out on Sunday fishing with all the big boys.
I did actually think about taking a picture of the peg/set up and posting it for you to salivate all over showing all the lovely Preston gear but I left the phone in the car and couldn't be arsed walking all the way back to get it.
Next time maybe with a top kit case pic showing an example of what I posted above. 👍🏻😉