How do you use a Fox micro tungsten chod bead kit?

SRL

Hi All -
I'm new to chod fishing and bought various bits to get started including the Fox Micro Tungsten Chod bead kit.

Trouble is I'm confused (not difficult!) and thought the chod rig should slide along the mainline (naked chod).

I've set one up as a sliding chod - very simple with heli clip and Tungsten bead on the line with Korda chod rig pre-tied - but these Fox beads fix to the line and don't side.

How do you use them? Seems more like a Zig set up to me?

Any advice appreciated (y)

fox_edges_tungsten_micro_chod_bead_kit_new.png

squimp

Site Supporter
It must be a very new product as there are no reviews anywhere.

judging from the pictures on the packet;

1. Slide one of the round beads onto the mainline, followed by a swivel Or ring swivel.
2. Slide on a pointed bead, pointy end first.
3, slide on a bit of the buffer tubing.
4. Tie a lead on the end of the line.

push the buffer sleeve onto the lead. Then push the beads together gently thus sandwiching the swivel between them.

tie a hooklink to the swivel and catch a monster carp !

I assume the pointy bead grips the mainline so you can set it at any distance above the lead. It cannot slide- if it did the top bead would stay put thus defeating the object of the set-up (see below).

when you play a fish it will slide down to the buffer sleeve.

if the mainline breaks above the beads; the design SHOULD allow the top bead to pull off and thus release the hooklink.
whether it actually works in practise remains to be seen.

other companies sell similar ‘safe’ helicopter systems. The Korda one for example, uses a fixed small top bead (and ano semi-bead that falls off when required thus making it ‘safe’) so the hooklink can slide below the bead - maybe that would suit your perceived need better ?

hope this helps.

SRL

It must be a very new product as there are no reviews anywhere.

judging from the pictures on the packet;

1. Slide one of the round beads onto the mainline, followed by a swivel Or ring swivel.
2. Slide on a pointed bead, pointy end first.
3, slide on a bit of the buffer tubing.
4. Tie a lead on the end of the line.

push the buffer sleeve onto the lead. Then push the beads together gently thus sandwiching the swivel between them.

tie a hooklink to the swivel and catch a monster carp !

I assume the pointy bead grips the mainline so you can set it at any distance above the lead. It cannot slide- if it did the top bead would stay put thus defeating the object of the set-up (see below).

when you play a fish it will slide down to the buffer sleeve.

if the mainline breaks above the beads; the design SHOULD allow the top bead to pull off and thus release the hooklink.
whether it actually works in practise remains to be seen.

other companies sell similar ‘safe’ helicopter systems. The Korda one for example, uses a fixed small top bead (and ano semi-bead that falls off when required thus making it ‘safe’) so the hooklink can slide below the bead - maybe that would suit your perceived need better ?

hope this helps.
Many thanks squimp. Your reply much appreciated and helpful.

I suppose my main dilemma was this bead kit 'fixes' the chod rig at a specific depth - so I was trying to establish the benefits of a fixed chod vs a running chod and people's experience. I thought the running chod was the best option as the hooklink slides up and settles on top of the weed etc.

Cheers

squimp

Site Supporter
Many thanks squimp. Your reply much appreciated and helpful.

I suppose my main dilemma was this bead kit 'fixes' the chod rig at a specific depth - so I was trying to establish the benefits of a fixed chod vs a running chod and people's experience. I thought the running chod was the best option as the hooklink slides up and settles on top of the weed etc.

Cheers
How long is a piece of string ?

There are lots of different views on how best to set up a chod rig.

running or fixed

light lead vs heavy lead

tubing or lead core vs ‘naked’

popup (normal) or Wafter or bottom bait

tight line vs slack line. I could go on....

In my mind it all depends on the actual circumstances on the day and what you are trying to achieve.

If you are trying to fish on top of weed then a very buoyant popup and a sliding set up with the top stop well up the line probably makes the most sense.

of course you could achieve roughly the same presentation with a fixed (safe version!) chod as long as it was set far enough up the line above the lead.

Personally I don’t like using chod rigs. I try and avoid them and use them as a last resort.

SRL

Thanks. As my local lake is pretty “choddy“ and the carp difficult to snare, I thought I’d give this rig a try.
This info has been helpful and I’ll give them all a go and see what works!
1. Naked sliding chod
2. NakEd fixed chod (although tricky to know what depth to set the fixed rig using the Fox kit?.)
3. Lead core leader sliding chod (I bought some cheap on fleaBay and look v good for the cost)