How do you pass the time ?

grey

Site Supporter
For me, fishing is an opportunity to totally focus and commit to an objective, it's never about doing nothing.

BarryS

Gone fishing
Site Supporter
For me, fishing is an opportunity to totally focus and commit to an objective, it's never about doing nothing.
I agree when I am feeder fishing........ general detailed preparation then total concentration and focus on the tip. Same with fly fishing or controller surface float......or general float fishing lots to concentrate on .
But with boilie fishing with an alarm..........I've looked around and chosen the best spot......the rig and bait and general preparation are as good as I can get them. I hit the spot and prime the alarm. Thats it.
Once I have made the cast there is nothing else I can do that I have not already done ......apart from praying.....and admiring the view.

Rob F

Site Supporter
Like many already posted I just like to enjoy the peace and quiet, commune with the natural world and generally relax whilst waiting for a bite. After that my time is generally spent wondering either a) are there actually any fish in there? Or b) WTF am I doing wrong this time?

Fartacus

Site Supporter
I will always say this when alarm fishing is mentioned I honestly think it's not real fishing i will explain why i think this.

You have alarms connected to a receiver that lets you know you have a bite 50 yards away from your peg
this give the so called angler the need to go walk about.

And they have a bloody boat to take all the end tackle out so no casting required.

Sleeping at night whilst the tackle is out in the pond and you still then call this fishing and skill why???

Spending all weekend with three rods out restricting other anglers from fishing.

So the answer to my question is anything but fishing whilst the bait is in the water.

Ollie_brum88

I will always say this when alarm fishing is mentioned I honestly think it's not real fishing i will explain why i think this.

You have alarms connected to a receiver that lets you know you have a bite 50 yards away from your peg

And they have a bloody boat to take all the end tackle out so no casting required.

Sleeping at night whilst the tackle is out in the pond and you still then call this fishing and skill why???

Spending all weekend with three rods out restricting other anglers from fishing.

So the answer to my question is anything but fishing
Even amongst the carp fraternity, bait boat use will almost gurantee rampant p***-taking!

BarryS

Gone fishing
Site Supporter

So the answer to my question is anything but fishing whilst the bait is in the water.
I think that's a fair point........But trying to define "real fishing " is a tough one. I don't have or need a receiver as a day angler I sit right next to my 2 rods. I see the alarms as an indicator of a bite......just like a float is ...or a quiver tip going round is . Like you I also find bait boats on the verge of a cheat and the other day I witnessed a guy across the lake using a thing called a Nash bushwhacker where he used something the size of a shoe box full of bait and his own rig best part of 50 yds out into the lake on the end of a huge sectioned pole................. not cricket is it ...or is it ??

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
I think that's a fair point........But trying to define "real fishing " is a tough one. I don't have or need a receiver as a day angler I sit right next to my 2 rods. I see the alarms as an indicator of a bite......just like a float is ...or a quiver tip going round is . Like you I also find bait boats on the verge of a cheat and the other day I witnessed a guy across the lake using a thing called a Nash bushwhacker where he used something the size of a shoe box full of bait and his own rig best part of 50 yds out into the lake on the end of a huge sectioned pole................. not cricket is it ...or is it ??
I think it fair to say that there is a danger in falling into any sort of routine procedure when fishing. Having a number of rods out on a setup with bite alarms can lull you into a false sense of security. I've seen many use that set up as an opportunity to catch up on their reading, or just simply sleep. Having been (during my formative fishing years) weened on river and float fishing, I am always looking at changes to the feeding habits of fish, water, conditions and so forth adjusting my tactics accordingly. I moved away from carping some years ago but I am not averse to (conditions permitting) pulling out my stalking rod (3lb tc) and hunting a holding spot for lumps in a river, or margins under any circumstances. It's usually the case that I'll spot a likely place while coarse fishing and make a mental note to revisit that place. However, sitting around waiting for something to happen and experiencing lengthy delays in "action" is not my style so I'm much happier with my feeder or float rod either on a seat box or a chair/stool. Also being a tight git (but not wishing to challenge for the title belt held on this forum), I'll use as little bait as possible- more than a few carp waters have a problem with anglers over feeding. In one case recentlythe water depth had reduced by a staggering amount due to a build-up of bait which the carp ignore having already been over fed

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I like to be busy so dont do much fishing where there’s long wait between bites, only really happens in the winter. When those sessions do arise if I’m with someone else like usual we just have a chat like we would if catching but when on my own I do get very bored if it’s slow. I have to keep tinkering to keep me productively busy or it can be easy to reach to my phone too much.

Dave gsx1400

The type of fishing I do requires me to actually `fish`. My aim is always to work towards my next bite. I therefore have no time to consider what to do whilst boredom sets in. If nothings happening, I do something to try and make it happen, ie. during the Pike `season` i`ll pick up my third rod and lure fish.