How do we share our rivers?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter

From the Angling Times.

Interesting article I thought. The stretches of the Severn I fish get a lot of Canoes but most of them tend to come in 'expedition' groups midday. I've not had any swimmers yet but my sister goes wild swimming in the Wye.

On the whole for me it's no bother, everyone is respectful of each other, but it sounds like it is a problem at some places from what they're saying in the AT.

FWIW I keep an eye out for canoes even when I'm well hidden behind a bush, you usually hear them say something along the lines of "watch out, fishing line" but I often reel in my rig to let them past anyway. Only occasionally have I had canoes 'stop' by rowing backwards right over where I'm fishing, never had anyone capsize in my swim yet, and having been canoeing once myself I can see it from both sides.

Are the AT making an issue where there isn't one or is sharing the river a problem as they suggest?

James F

I've never had a problem with canoes, but I only tend to fish the Tees, which is wide enough that they can avoid you. There's been a few kids that have swam in the way before, but I have not noticed as much of an issue as they have made it.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah the boats have every right to be there as much as us, the boats themselves are not the issue its just some of the people in them. Same as with anglers you get good boaters and bad boaters. Plus boats keep me employed so I'm biased!

A bigger issue is the rise of cheap inflatables by people who wouldnt know how river or boat works if one hit them in the face! I do wonder if making them registerable like powered craft would deter some of the dodgier paddlers.

Swimmers are much more annoying than boats anyway. Not so much the proper ones as they are transient like boats but those that just splash and wallow in the margins in the next peg are infuriating. Again they have the right to be there but there is rarely the need to be so close to anglers so those that do go close are just rude.

squimp

Site Supporter
How long have you got......

anglers pay to fish particular stretches of river and in contrast canoeists believe that all access to rivers should be free.

for many years there was an ‘anglers/canoeists liaison group’. Anglers were represented by high level NFA and STA bodies. That role is now taken by the AT. A few years ago the canoeists stopped coming as they escalated their action to get unrestricted canoe access on all running water.

so far the government has sided with anglers and agreed that as we pay for access, so in turn canoe access should be restricted To stretches of water where negotiated agreements exist.

how long that situation will last is the key question.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
I used to fish a stretch on a private school they had there own boat club so Cox 8 and everything between, never seemed to bother the fish even had one young lady break a boat and swim trough and get out the water in my swim, still caught next put in. That was a one off, as long as the fish are used to boats of whatever varitiy and there not splashing and causing a commotion, ie just going up n down it's ok.

rudd

Site Supporter
I tend to fish far bank with an 8 oz breakaway lead and 100lb braid if canoes about!:devil-flip:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Only part of the Severn I've fished that gets proper boats is Stourport and there it's wide enough not to really be an issue as traffic isn't overly heavy, just have to watch your keepnet in the bow waves. :)

Never had swimmers yet and I've told my sister that she might annoy anglers it doesn't stop her, although she always says "there were lots of people fishing" whenever she goes. I saw a video of my youngest neice floating down the Wye in a buoyancy aid and wouldn't want to spoil anyones fun as someone who also has fun fishing on rivers.

With the inflatables I had a group of lads come down to the weir near me in one saying they were going to Stourport lol. They made it to the end of the pool before it goes too shallow and had to wade back to the bank telling me "There's big fish down there, big Goldfish!". As above didn't seem to effect the fishing too much even with walking through the peg as I still caught.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The boats going over the fish the doesnt seem to bother them here the only way they stop you catching is when you have to keep winding in! We get almost every sort of boat here but I'd take them all over swimmers.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My dad is not the best at casting and more inclined to leave his rig in for the canoes to find a way around than me once he's hit a good spot. I wind in and see it as an opportunity to rebait but means sometimes I'll have an hour or two midday of not doing much fishing when one of these organised trips comes down the river. Unless I cast down the edge instead.

It was an organised trip I went on when I went canoeing. Got to the end and it's the lass that works in the Co-op in my village that's collecting the canoes, think she helps organise the trips.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I used to fish the River Wear in Durham City centre quite a lot and the university has a very popular rowing movement along with a popular rowing club in the city itself, the boats could sometimes be a bit of an issue, especially the University ones as they were often very inexperienced however the real issue was the knob riding the push bike with a loud hailer shouting orders, too busy watching the boats and not looking where they were going. Seen lots of kit run over and them riding into people just out for a walk, then when someone says something to them they are often met with a 'do you know who I am' type attitude

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
"I tend to fish far bank with an 8 oz
breakaway lead and 100lb braid if canoes about"

Good to see the Commie Carp fishing gear being multi purposed ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I used to fish the River Wear in Durham City centre quite a lot and the university has a very popular rowing movement along with a popular rowing club in the city itself, the boats could sometimes be a bit of an issue, especially the University ones as they were often very inexperienced however the real issue was the knob riding the push bike with a loud hailer shouting orders, too busy watching the boats and not looking where they were going. Seen lots of kit run over and them riding into people just out for a walk, then when someone says something to them they are often met with a 'do you know who I am' type attitude

You should try dealing with oxford uni’s 38 rowing clubs! Plus a few more from their feeder schools more than the skiffs tbh. The coach catarmarans that follow them are the annoying ones. The actual rowing clubs can even be quite welcome when it’s a boat full of the more attractive females ;)

The Runner

Site Supporter
however the real issue was the knob riding the push bike with a loud hailer shouting orders, too busy watching the boats and not looking where they were going. Seen lots of kit run over and them riding into people just out for a walk, then when someone says something to them they are often met with a 'do you know who I am' type attitude
Donnington on the Thames used to be a nightmare for that and probably still is...
Did get a laugh one day when two of the said bikes, not watching where they were going, had a head on collision with each other. Nobody hurt but they started to have a long argument over whose fault it was, prompting my teammate who was fishing next to the collision ( a bit of a colourful character) to get in between them and say (loudly) "Look, would one of you just ******* hit the other and ******* get it over with ?"
They moved on...

The Runner

Site Supporter
The actual rowing clubs can even be quite welcome when it’s a boat full of the more attractive females ;)
That of course was one of the upsides of fishing Donnington.
The rowers were really just an irritation in that you would have to spend so long without a bait in the water
Used to have a great photo of a line of anglers all with 14m of pole held right up so that a procession of rowers could pass below.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah it’s the constant baits out that cause the issues rather than the boats disturbing the fish. Tbf donnington isn’t so bad as there’s deep water close in and it’s fairly straight so you can fish a float inside the boats path but at medley where it’s bendy and shallow close in you’re are often fishing right in their path.

At least when your fishing from the bank you are safe even if you gear isn’t. Been a couple times when I’ve fished on a boat at sea where I’ve felt seconds from being wrecked when some other boat is blindly heading for you. Horrible feeling that :(

Pompous git

Site Supporter
"I tend to fish far bank with an 8 oz
breakaway lead and 100lb braid if canoes about"

Good to see the Commie Carp fishing gear being multi purposed ?
Evening Phoebe,

Eight ounce lead and one hundred pound braid? Didn`t know Rudd was a barbel angler...

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I work with a guy who kayaks most days on the Medway and at weekends he travels all over - he rants constantly about anglers & lines in the water and how there should be “boat only” stretches on rivers.

He has wound his neck in a bit since I’ve been back and made it known I’m drowning maggots again.

It doesn’t appear to be entirely harmonious on the rivers of his views are anything to go by.

Karl

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I work with a guy who kayaks most days on the Medway and at weekends he travels all over - he rants constantly about anglers & lines in the water and how there should be “boat only” stretches on rivers.

He has wound his neck in a bit since I’ve been back and made it known I’m drowning maggots again.

It doesn’t appear to be entirely harmonious on the rivers of his views are anything to go by.

Karl

Do get the occasional canoe go past the seem to hold that view, fortunately I think the majority are of the 'sharing' persuasion!

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter

Karl

come down to grove ferry on the river stour, or seabrook on the RMC

both have leisure companys renting out canoes and boats to the hoi polloi, semi drunks and day trippers

get a bunch of them anywhere near where your fishing and you might as well pack your kit and go home

SoulSoldier

Site Supporter
I’ve just moved to Pershore and as yet have not fished my local stretch of the Avon. but it not only looks like I have to share with boaters and canoeists but with those much misunderstood Travelling Folk who, as soon as the sun has got his hat on, are diving off the platforms, swimming, shouting littering and generally behaving like a bunch of twats. Let’s hope that when 1st January 2021 comes around and we are not fettered by the ECJ we can deport them to the s**t holes from whence they came. (anyone who wants to report me for being a racist feel free to do so).