How do they make money-profit

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
theres an advert running on the telly

buy a quarter soveriegn for £99

commemorating the concorde aeroplane

now I understand that the gold content is pretty small, being as its a tiny thing (2 grammes in weight 22 carat gold)

todays price scrap gold 22carat is £33 per gramme

but, i musta seen that advert well over a hundred times now, and telly advertising aint cheap, airtime, cost of producing advert, actors fees etc

and being as there is a maximum of only 4999 of em being made worldwide

how do they make money ????

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Once they have your details Mick you will be bombarded with other offers such as THIS to purchase the coins that make up the rest of the "set" and countless "exclusive offers" for a valued customer after that. ;)

Tyecon

Actually surprised at those prices thought it would be dearer and advertiser can probably claim some of that back

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
theres an advert running on the telly

buy a quarter soveriegn for £99

commemorating the concorde aeroplane

now I understand that the gold content is pretty small, being as its a tiny thing (2 grammes in weight 22 carat gold)

todays price scrap gold 22carat is £33 per gramme

but, i musta seen that advert well over a hundred times now, and telly advertising aint cheap, airtime, cost of producing advert, actors fees etc

and being as there is a maximum of only 4999 of em being made worldwide

how do they make money ????
Delivery will be £99 too lol

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Go to any auction and they will most likely have a few sovereigns/half sovereigns for sale, pick them up for about 90-100 for half and 180-220 for a full one, plus commission. The beauty is they are CGT free (UK coinage) and the bullion shops will pay a premium over spot price for sovereigns (proper bullion dealers and not the here today gone tomorrow cash for gold merchants). The one I use sometimes is paying £254 for a full sovereign.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
14mm is correct. To give an idea, the current 5p piece is 18mm diameter. Plus as a fisherman you probably have a fair idea of how light 2g is.

As is already posted; it's a way to get your details so they can spam you for ever more. In fact, one of them was actually giving away a limited number of coins.