How do dogs know

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
This is a favourite picture of mine showing Vi and Ken (mam and dad) and my two greyhounds. My mother is in advanced stages of Altzheimers in this pic and Blake, the dog, is in his favourite position. He never jumped up my mum or was boisterous around her but he never left her side and if she sat down he always sat at the side and put his head on her lap, giving her hand the occasional lick. He seemed to know she was ill (she died about 6 months after this pic) and just seemed to be showing her he cared. Blakey and Miller April 2012 030.JPG

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
There is a theory that dogs can actually smell certain illnesses (presumably due to the chemical processes taking part), so they may be able to pick up when things are wrong with a member of the pack, especially if it's one of the pack leaders.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Winston just headbutts me with his nose when he wants attention, stands at the door when he wants to go out, staring at me, barks once to come back in, and bullies me and the missus if he wants to go for a walk. He's got no compassion in him :)

bluemack

Site Supporter
My Border collie(Jack) is,nt the most affectionate of dogs,he does,nt like you sitting near him or lying by him but in 2017 i had a heart attack at my
sister in laws and i lay down on her kitchen floor till an ambulance came, Jack instantly lay down alongside me and never moved until the medic,s
arrived,he,s never lay next to me before or since.
Without a doubt he knew i was in trouble.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
When I fell off a roof two and a half years ago, Winston (then 8months) stood over me licking my face -it was raining at the time and I think he was collecting the water droplets :D

John Step

Site Supporter
Dogs are pack animals and are in tune with other members of the pack. They have different senses.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
If i have a cut or Graze Albert seems to know straight away where it is and wont leave it til he is happy its clean. About 2 days Back i slipped on the last 2 steps and ended up on me Arse, he ran to me put his Paws on my legs and was Licking me and shaking, it was as if he was really worried. Another thing his Booster and check up at the vets was last week, we aint allowed in the room with him and the Lady vet had to tek him in, we told her he can be a bit nippy if he aint sure of ya, she put a muzzle on him and away he went, she returned from the room Muzzle less stating he had been a Proper Gentleman :eek: Albert was then sat at her side whilst she scratched his side and massaged his ears whilst telling us he was ok. Gert said i cant believe him he made me out tio be a right liar, the vet said Albert probably sensed she was Pregnant.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Many animals have senses or abilities we do not have, or at least we lose them as we grow up. It almost seems that as humans evolved into "higher" beings we left behind those abilities.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Angel can smell a dead seal on the beach a long way away. Even further if wind blowing in right direction.
And then she’s off. No recall will work and normally results in me running along the beach after her screaming at her to stop. End result is her normally rubbing her chops on a greasy decaying rancid seal. Why ? And it stinks and it’s like grease.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Many animals have senses or abilities we do not have, or at least we lose them as we grow up. It almost seems that as humans evolved into "higher" beings we left behind those abilities.
And the fittest survive. Bit like what covid is about I have a feeling

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Angel can smell a dead seal on the beach a long way away. Even further if wind blowing in right direction.
And then she’s off. No recall will work and normally results in me running along the beach after her screaming at her to stop. End result is her normally rubbing her chops on a greasy decaying rancid seal. Why ? And it stinks and it’s like grease.
The two dogs in my pic used to love rolling in fox poo, canine chanel?

rudd

Site Supporter
Any dog I meet always sniffs my left knee, even through trousers.
Damaged whilst in army and now covered in psoriasis.

squimp

Site Supporter
I used to suffer regularly with bad migraines and the only respite was bed and a darkened room. One of our vizslas used to come and lie on the bed with her head across my neck As if she knew I was ill and needed support. She never came upstairs at any other time.....