How Did It All Get So Complicated?

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I suppose I'm feeling nostalgic for the days when I just grabbed my gear and walked up to the pond. But that really didn't last for more than two seasons, before different rods and tackle and methods started to arrive in my life, and I needed a car to go fishing. Those early days were very simple fishing on a little pond.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I remember when I used to get the bus, the no11 outer circle, to go and fish a park lake. So although I say I was more complicated as a kid when I used to fish the pole, I did have nice simple days too. It helped that I was fearless as a 14 year old as by the time I was 19 and got beat up or mugged a few times, caution as well as self consciousness had started to set in. Though I do have a similar set up now with a river just down the road, I drive but could walk through the village with just a rod etc, basically what I take now.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Used to tape my Shakespeare 6m telescopic pole to the crossbar of my bike, a spool of 1.1 lb and 3/4 lb Bayer Perlon, couple of home made pole floats, some hooks and shot and a pocket full of my dads bronze maggots and off I’d go down to our local canal until it got dark. Wish I could turn the clock back. Now I need a van to get my gear in. 🙄

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I’d question the all-encompassing nature of that comment Neil. “It’s what we rich, pampered western humans do” would be more accurate.
What an odd comment. Plenty of Eastern countries that have people with the exactly the same aims in life as people in the West and live similar lifestyles..

Alantherose

Site Supporter
What an odd comment. Plenty of Eastern countries that have people with the exactly the same aims in life as people in the West and live similar lifestyles..

Yeah, probably came over more “odd“ sounding than I intended- had a few things going on in my head at the same time. Sorry if it caused offence 😔.

I guess what I was trying to convey was that fretting about something like having too much fishing gear is one of those infamous “first world problems.” In other words, it’s only an issue when you have the means available to you to buy it in the first place- and having those means is certainly not universally true, hence my initial comment.

Hopefully now you’ll see that what I meant is less odd than what I first wrote.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Yeah, probably came over more “odd“ sounding than I intended- had a few things going on in my head at the same time. Sorry if it caused offence 😔.

I guess what I was trying to convey was that fretting about something like having too much fishing gear is one of those infamous “first world problems.” In other words, it’s only an issue when you have the means available to you to buy it in the first place- and having those means is certainly not universally true, hence my initial comment.

Hopefully now you’ll see that what I meant is less odd than what I first wrote.
Clear as mud fella. 🤣🤣👍.

Only thing that’s peeved me off in the past is watching my mates buy all the latest fishing gear when their kids have holes in their school uniforms. Always always always should your kids come before your fishing. End of.

Rant over. 😊

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I think my original post was comparing how simple fishing seemed when I started with the bare essentials 39 years ago as a 17 year old, and how different it is now I'm starting up again with so much more kit. Of course in the beginning, the fishing was very simple as I was learning. I was catching some fish and enjoying myself, but as I began to progress as an angler, I needed more kit. I think it's that way for most of us. It's just a particularly poignant comparison for me because of being able to compare my original start up tackle with my current gear, built up over the following decades.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
We used to get two of us in a Fiesta XR 2. We covered some miles traveling to the Stainforth and Keadby from the north east. In those days we had 1 pole 3 top kits, 2 float rods and 2 feeder rods that covered everything. 2 float reels and a feeder reel. An ASI and first generation Conti box. 1 keep net a landing net a few pints of casters, maggots or squat with a bag of groundbait all of which went in the carry all. We also carried all of our gear and if you fished the Tees at Yarm or the Yorkshire Ouse at Linton there were some horrendous walks, with plenty of fields and fences to clamber over.

We caught plenty of fish and probably enjoyed our matches then more than we do today with most opens being 80 pegs.

Looking at commercials today and I can just to say get all of my gear in Jag X type estate which is a good sized estate. 1 Pole/rod holdal, a ready 4 rod holdall, a 36mm legged box, 2 eva net holdals, 7 nets, pole roller holdal, bait cool bag, trolley, at least12 pints of pellets of various sizes, a bag of micros and a bag of groundbait plus 4 tins of meat and 4 tins of corn.

It takes 10 minutes to load the car, the same to set up the trolley and then 5 minutes to unload the car. It's almost like going to work :ROFLMAO:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
We used to get two of us in a Fiesta XR 2. We covered some miles traveling to the Stainforth and Keadby from the north east. In those days we had 1 pole 3 top kits, 2 float rods and 2 feeder rods that covered everything. 2 float reels and a feeder reel. An ASI and first generation Conti box. 1 keep net a landing net a few pints of casters, maggots or squat with a bag of groundbait all of which went in the carry all. We also carried all of our gear and if you fished the Tees at Yarm or the Yorkshire Ouse at Linton there were some horrendous walks, with plenty of fields and fences to clamber over.

We caught plenty of fish and probably enjoyed our matches then more than we do today with most opens being 80 pegs.

Looking at commercials today and I can just to say get all of my gear in Jag X type estate which is a good sized estate. 1 Pole/rod holdal, a ready 4 rod holdall, a 36mm legged box, 2 eva net holdals, 7 nets, pole roller holdal, bait cool bag, trolley, at least12 pints of pellets of various sizes, a bag of micros and a bag of groundbait plus 4 tins of meat and 4 tins of corn.

It takes 10 minutes to load the car, the same to set up the trolley and then 5 minutes to unload the car. It's almost like going to work :ROFLMAO:
🤣🤣🤣 Me and my mate Tony Barret did exactly that Dave. We both had XR2’s. My one was crystal blue and Tony’s was black. E353VWT. I wonder what happened to that car ? Baked been tins probably. We took it in turns as we used to fish the Leeds / Liverpool canal matches up at Thackley. Saturday and Wednesday evenings. Wednesday evenings were a bit tight to get to after work but, the way my mate drove we never missed the draw. Those little XR2’s were still quick even loaded with two lots of gear. It was a god send when I bought a roof rack. 🤣🤣. Oh I do miss those days. 😩🤷‍♂️

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I do know one thing that has made it more complicated than when I was a lad. Age!
While I could still carry the gear I used when I was starting out,as a 17 year old, as described in my original post, I couldn't carry the gear I used to hump around in my 20s and 30s. A Shakespeare box/top box, 8 tube Garbolino holdall loaded with a pole, rods, brolly and landing net handles/banksticks, carried over my shoulders and a large carryall and bait bag in each hand. I thought nothing of carrying this from the parking area on some of the club waters, and around a large lake to the far side, if that's where the peg I wanted to fish was. Now in my mid 50s and with arthritis, I definitely need my new barrow. I can't take the weight of the seatbox or loaded holdall on my shoulders anymore. Oh to be 17 and starting out again!!

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Fishing is not complicated at al! It depends on how many possibilities you wish to cover.

You can get round a golf course with an iron and a putter. So why so the professionals carry 14 clubs? Obviously because they need to cover all eventualities. Fishing is no different, though of course some people may carry too much because they can't be bothered to sling stuff out! ;)