How Did It All Get So Complicated?

Deejay8

Site Supporter
As I place an order for a trolley and a couple of pole rollers, I'm wondering when my fishing became so complicated. I have a holdall with a pole and four rods, two carryalls, a roller bag, a bucket, and a seatbox filled with all sorts of paraphernalia. And now a trolley to carry it all on. Next July will see 40 years since I began fishing. Thinking back, my tackle was so simple back then. In one hand I used to carry a 12ft match rod, a landing net pole, and landing net, a small folding school, and a rod rest. In the other hand I carried a small cantilever box. And on my back I had a small rucksack. In the two tiered cantilever box, I had half a dozen wagglers, a split shot dispenser, 3 packets of hooks in sizes 18,16 and 12, a plummet, and a disgorger. In the rucksack I had a small reel, a bait box with either sweetcorn or maggots in it, a small lunchbox and a drink bottle. And that was it. I could walk the mile and a half to my local pond. Fishing was so simple back then.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Unless I'm long stay carping its one rod, one reel, net, bag and chair.. I was a match angler till 3 years ago andcthexamount of gear I carried... the trollies were turning into giant 4 wheel barrows piled high.... enough... back to Basics

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
It's what we humans do. Sometimes we need to stop and think. I did a few years ago, the result was this

Silver fan 82

It still is pretty simply some people just make it complicated
Exactly this. The fundamentals of fishing haven't really changed since Isaac Waltons day.
Obviously advancements in tackle and bait have.
I think we are all guilty of needing to take the latest go to item of tackle or magical bait that will have the fish crawling up your rod and maybe that's where we can get a bit bogged down with taking too much gear with us?

deck24m

Site Supporter
In my opinion it all depends on what you want to do:

Either go ultra-light with minimal tackle, enjoy the day and don't think too much about - if only I had brought that bit of tackle etc....!

Or go equipped with tackle to cover all eventualities.

I just take a small carryall/rucksack, bait bag, korum chair and a small holdall with a 13ft float rod, feeder rod, landing net handle and just swap out the rods depending on where I am fishing. I love it this way.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have regressed from my Junior Club days to a more simple approach. It's nice having a lot of tackle, more necessary in a match, but also means more to do when it comes to the dreaded packing away time.

alsur

Site Supporter
Match fishing I would still take a lot of kit much of which is necessary if you are going to compete effectively especially fishing long on the pole.

Pleasure fishing depends on what I'm doing still need more kit to fish pole that with rod and line but not as much as match.

Pleasure fishing with rod and line the most I will take is two made up rods (float and feeder) bag containing terminal tackle and bait, landing net, rod rest and chair. Sometimes I only take a float rod.

River fishing I normally only take one rod and reel

I think what's driven the amount of tackle match anglers take is dominance of pole fishing where you need more kit to fish efficiently especially at longer lengths and large weights needed to win meaning you have to carry multiple keepnets.

Additionally when pleasure fishing I take unhooking mat as club insists on, I very rarely use it as I normally unhook fish in net and very rarely put fish on ground.

wayne_uk

Site Supporter
must admit i follow the KISS principal (Keep It Simple Stupid) maybe cuz i am stupid ;-)
just basic kit, and enjoy it

Reuben

Site Supporter
Now I don’t match fish I can fish with much less gear. On the Forth just a trotting rod, landing net, reel & maggots with a chair & rod rest. On a commy, either float rod or pole - not both, a feeder rod with corn or pellets. My Korum bait & bits beg is plenty big enough for my needs as is Midwater six footer rod bag. Saying that, the garage is full of gear that I’m slowly thinning out…..,

Browner

Site Supporter
As I place an order for a trolley and a couple of pole rollers, I'm wondering when my fishing became so complicated. I have a holdall with a pole and four rods, two carryalls, a roller bag, a bucket, and a seatbox filled with all sorts of paraphernalia. And now a trolley to carry it all on. Next July will see 40 years since I began fishing. Thinking back, my tackle was so simple back then. In one hand I used to carry a 12ft match rod, a landing net pole, and landing net, a small folding school, and a rod rest. In the other hand I carried a small cantilever box. And on my back I had a small rucksack. In the two tiered cantilever box, I had half a dozen wagglers, a split shot dispenser, 3 packets of hooks in sizes 18,16 and 12, a plummet, and a disgorger. In the rucksack I had a small reel, a bait box with either sweetcorn or maggots in it, a small lunchbox and a drink bottle. And that was it. I could walk the mile and a half to my local pond. Fishing was so simple back then.
Went bream fishing this morning. I had a small shoulder bag and a small quiver with a feeder rod and landing net handle in it On my back. I carried a ultralight chair in one hand and a small bait bucket containing my groundbait in the other hand. My landing net was fixed to the shoulder bag.
It doesn’t have to be complicated or need a lot of kit.
My tackle box is 6 x 3 x 2 and only contains what I need and I have a Drennan hook link box that holds my hooks to nylon. 12 different options - 20-14 Silverfish Pellet, 18-12 Wide gape pellet and 14-16 push stops and banded.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I very rarely take more than two rods. Even that is overkill that allows me enough flexibility to wade or use a longer rod from the bank as necessary. One of the rods is unlikely to make it out of the case depending on the swim chosen on the day. I could easily reduce that to one rod provided I was prepared to accept that some spots might be rendered more difficult to fish. Only if I'm fishing a stillwater does a chair see the light of day. Fishing is as complicated as you want it to be. You don't need to hump mountains of gear to catch fish.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
It's what we humans do. Sometimes we need to stop and think. I did a few years ago, the result was this

I’d question the all-encompassing nature of that comment Neil. “It’s what we rich, pampered western humans do” would be more accurate.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I’d question the all-encompassing nature of that comment Neil. “It’s what we rich, pampered western humans do” would be more accurate.
If that were true we would still be rubbing two sticks together to make fire and dragging loads around on rollers.

davylad

Site Supporter
If you only use a pole, you will need extra top kits in your holdall, a seat box, at least one roller, a side tray, a carryall. It soon adds up, I'm always saying I'm going to cut it down, but find it hard. If I only fished rivers it would be a lot easier to just take the minimum, the same if I only fished say the waggler etc etc.

kenj

As I am still waiting for a knee replacement, my ability to walk very far without a stick has limited my tackle requirements. I need a box to sit on, so an old lightweight plastic Shakespeare one is carried on a two wheeled T framed tubular trolley. My continental box stays at home. All my floats are now on winders in the bottom of the box, my bits and bobs, spare hooks and bread punches are in a small Tupperware box, while I have a Drennan two rod ready to fish holdall strapped to the trolley through my net bag. Two made up float rods, or a pole and landing net handle are there. I only fish the bread punch now on river, or lake, so carry just liquidised bread and prepared slices in the tackle box. The box has two plastic trays that clip each side of the box. One for the Tupperware and the other for the liquidised bread and punches. It is all I need, I still catch lots of fish on the punch and can't see myself going back to lugging loads of gear around, when I eventually get the knee sorted.