How cool is pellet waggler fishing?!

Alantherose

Site Supporter

I recently purchased some of those wee Middy Soft Land pellet wagglers (1SSG and 2SSG weights), and using my Daiwa Samurai with my boy's 10' Garbolino Silver Bullet match rod, I've had a brilliant session this morning with six or seven carp landed and two lost. I love the "active" vibe of pellet waggler fishing, and also the skill of just gently feathering the float to land a couple of feet from the far bank so that the hook bait lands at the same time and slowly drops in front of the fish. And then there's just the excitement of anticipating a bite each time the float lands... brilliant stuff! I even had a cheeky fish that took my bait from right under my feet when I was pinging some more pellets across! Now all I need to do is get a bit better with the jolly catapult 😬

I'm loving this fishing lark at the moment- been working on pole technique and method feeder too. I like the feeling of adding new methods to my armoury :)

Anyone else a Pellet Waggler lover? What do you like about it?

rudd

Site Supporter

I recently purchased some of those wee Middy Soft Land pellet wagglers (1SSG and 2SSG weights), and using my Daiwa Samurai with my boy's 10' Garbolino Silver Bullet match rod, I've had a brilliant session this morning with six or seven carp landed and two lost. I love the "active" vibe of pellet waggler fishing, and also the skill of just gently feathering the float to land a couple of feet from the far bank so that the hook bait lands at the same time and slowly drops in front of the fish. And then there's just the excitement of anticipating a bite each time the float lands... brilliant stuff! I even had a cheeky fish that took my bait from right under my feet when I was pinging some more pellets across! Now all I need to do is get a bit better with the jolly catapult 😬

I'm loving this fishing lark at the moment- been working on pole technique and method feeder too. I like the feeling of adding new methods to my armoury :)

Anyone else a Pellet Waggler lover? What do you like about it?
I fish it a few times a year on one water and have not seen anyone else try it.
Through spring they like floating baits but soon wise up and get tricky - during daylight hours when its warm they dont feed on bottom until the evening.
So during day when they are crusing pellet waggler is ideal.
My favourite part is playing big fish on light tackle.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I don't think it's any different to normal waggler fishing shallow. You cast, feed (or feed then cast), let it drop through to its depth limit, hopefully get a bite in the process, then repeat. Only difference is a bigger float and only pellets on the hook. No different a process to wag and mag or hemp up in the water. But yes like all waggler fishing it is fun!

Backwoodsman

Site Supporter
spot on you are preaching to the converted with me. If I am lake/pond fishing that’s my favourite style.

smiffy

Site Supporter
If there’s enough fish about it’s the same for any shallow waggler fishing minus the twitch bit 👍🏻
It’s always worth twitching because, generally, your loosefeed is quite well spread👍.
Same with striking and missing the bite. If you don’t feel a fish on the strike let your float settle again before winding in and having another chuck. More often than not the float will bury again 👍.

MrBen

Site Supporter
Bread punch on waggler shallow has done well for me last two outings, no feeding required.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I love pellet waggler fishing because it’s such a busy way to fill your time on the bank, my son finds it hysterical when the float lands and there are immediate swirls and tails before a thumping take.

Rick123

Site Supporter
The only thing I find is, the method demands ridged weather conditions to make it happen really well. All this wind and rain have to made it NOT very conducive for P/W fishing. You need the fish up, yes you can feed them up, but its better if that's the place that want to be. You need a back wind, or gentle side winds, with little tow on the water. I had two yesterday morning on the P/W on my new rod, both modest fish about 8lb 9lb but great fun. I think it will come into its own now as the weather gets a little warmer. Having said that it was bloody cold yesterday, so I got on a sheltered side on the big lake.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
The only thing I find is, the method demands ridged weather conditions to make it happen really well. All this wind and rain have to made it NOT very conducive for P/W fishing. You need the fish up, yes you can feed them up, but its better if that's the place that want to be. You need a back wind, or gentle side winds, with little tow on the water. I had two yesterday morning on the P/W on my new rod, both modest fish about 8lb 9lb but great fun. I think it will come into its own now as the weather gets a little warmer. Having said that it was bloody cold yesterday, so I got on a sheltered side on the big lake.

Yeah, it definitely needs a swim favourable to the wind eh?