How are your waters fishing at the moment?

Maverick

From my own experience over the past 10yrs and the opinions of so many of the guys I know at my local waters, they are all saying this has been the worst season they have known.

Catches are way down below the norm. Many blame the usual reasons - the weather. too many matches, too much bait going in etc. I havn't got a clue as to why its fishing so bad I just know that it is.

How are your local waters fishing this year compared to previous years?

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
My favourite haunt is not fishing well. Spent months waiting for the weather to warm up, then two weeks spawning which ended two or three weeks ago but it’s just not picked up. All my favourite pegs, which are usually bankers, just seem devoid of fish, especially carp. Had quite a few roach and lots of skimmers but the carp and the bigger bream just aren’t biting.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Club lakes aren't fishing as they normally should for the time of year, but still some decent bags caught. The larger Carp aren't showing much but Carp up to around the 12lb to 15lb are being caught daily. As for the Bream, again, the larger ones are scarce so far but fish to around 5lb or 6lb seem to be doing OK.

davej1981

Very changable! On various days hd weights ranging from 25lb - 100lb in the last couple of weeks. The weathers been all over the place very hot to wind and rain

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Tough going on the venues I use regularly - small stuff showing but larger fish difficult. Conditions have a lot to do with it I think

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
In the last couple months the Stillwaters have been good, too early to say on the rivers was certainly rubbish to start with but I have heard a few good reports in the last couple days. Canals have been up and down.

Devon Ken

Site Supporter
We fish New Barn in Paignton its fishing really well with double bags of silvers and some massive carp from the carp anglers

rudd

Site Supporter
All waters round here been fishing badly since first lockdown.
That badly that they have gone clear where bottom not stirred up.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
They're fishing ok, it was a hard start to the year but now it's got a bit warmer it's like someone's flicked a switch that we're allowed to catch fish again.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Stillwaters have been challenging with catches down and blanks commonplace. The rivers are fishing very well to balance it out.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Bream don't seem to be showing on my local, match weights down to the teens of small fish, so I won't fish there until it picks up.

Maverick

Ok. But, there’s something adrift. As though they’ve not settled after spawning. 🤷‍♂️
Thats what we're finding Mick. Fishing was poor leading up to spawning as we expected. Once it was over they usually go on a mad feeding frenzy and try to drag the rod into the lake. It just hasn't happened this year for some reason.

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
Maybe all the fish are self-isolating? 😘 Think the weather, which has been so changeable, has a lot to do with it. Lots more ‘anglers’ on the banks this year too, throwing in gawd knows what amounts of bait doesn’t help either.

Silver fan 82

I wonder if the cooler than usual temperatures after spawning is affecting how they are feeding?
Had an evening session on a local lake the other day. Fished the method feeder and to be honest was the worse session I've ever had on the method feeder. Fish were in the swim but not biting. Lots of little plucks but no sail away bites as expected. Frustrating indeed!

davylad

Site Supporter
It was bad earlier on, maybe up to the beginning of May, so much so, we started thinking there was something seriously wrong. Then the rumours from some members started, like 26 cormorants on the lake this morning, etc etc. It's fishing pretty well now, although there's hardly a bream or skimmer showing and not that many roach. I was worried for the silvers only matches I fish, but the first one (I missed) was won with 35lb, so not bad really, as last year average winner needed about 48lb.

Total

Site Supporter
My waters are certainly fishing indifferently.....When checking on diary entries for this time of year I would estimate my waters are approximately one month behind from where I would expect them to be....Fish still look spawned out and generally out of condition....

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Thats what we're finding Mick. Fishing was poor leading up to spawning as we expected. Once it was over they usually go on a mad feeding frenzy and try to drag the rod into the lake. It just hasn't happened this year for some reason.
Exactly mate. Same here. 🤷‍♂️