Hotdog sausages as bait

Grimberian

Site Supporter
Hi Folks,
Do hot dog sausages work as bait?
If so, whats the best way to hook them?
I am thinking quickstop, but worried they might split. Likewise with banding.
Will probably just put them on a straight lead and underarm cast so not very far out.
Ta.

62tucker

Site Supporter
If you microwave them for a bit it will thicken/ toughen the skin. Still not sure if they would hold on to a cast.
Or use to make 2 dog groundbait

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
If using a quick-stop, then push the stop through the skin rather than through the centre, toughen the skin a bit first. Or use Meat-Mates from Enterprise Tackle.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
They are not the best for casting as the meat is to loose inside.
One or two fish have been known to have come out on meat balls in the past and they are great either whole for big fish or quartered for smaller.
Or so I have been told.

Davethefish

Consider using the mini hot dogs whole, they stay on much better as little of the softer inner is exposed. Have had good results on them in the past.

Grimberian

Site Supporter
Or try using normal luncheon meat and upgrade your watercraft skills as opposed to looking for a magic bait.

Wow, no need :rolleyes:
I had some left over in one of those jars and wanted to use them up, wondered if it was worth bothering.
I am not looking for some magic bait, I normally stick to a tin of sweetcorn, half a loaf of bread and some pellets.
Nothing so magic there, is there?

carphauler

Wow, no need :rolleyes:
I had some left over in one of those jars and wanted to use them up, wondered if it was worth bothering.
I am not looking for some magic bait, I normally stick to a tin of sweetcorn, half a loaf of bread and some pellets.
Nothing so magic there, is there?
Fair enough, wasn't meant as critiscm but hey ho.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Hotdog meat works brilliantly for all kinds of fish, but.....it's all in the sausage. The cheap rubbish in cans is fragile and full of fat and filler. Get decent ones and cut into discs. Fry the exposed meat sides in butter then hair rig it the other way, so the hair passes through both sides of skin. I've found it really helps to use an ice pack to keep it cold after frying, just to maintain consistency. Smoked with garlic are potent.

Alternatively, polish snack sausage are super tough like pepperami and will catch well. I use them for bream and tench. Again, simple hair rig but no frying needed with cured sausages.