Hot weather fishing

spc123

Evening

how does the scorching weather generally impact fish?

have been fishing Carr Lane pond in Prescot which the last few weeks has been not far off a bite a Chuck small roach and bream on red maggots

yesterday and today though loads of float going under but nothing when struck. Miss after miss after miss. Guessed they were up in the water so steadily came up off the bottom same result

Whenever I tossed maggots in the water it churned like it was full of piranhas so obviously in the area and just not interested. Others nearby seemed to be having the same issue

new to all this so any hot weather tips appreciated

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Find flowing coloured water ideally with a bit of shade and you’ll be alright. I had one of my best ever sessions on the Thames yesterday and a reasonable one this morning. The flow makes them use energy so they need to feed and the bright sun doesn’t make much difference if you’ve only got a foot to a foot and a half of visibility in 6-7ft of water even more so if there’s a bit of shade on the water.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Not the easiest method if you’re new to this but one method that, nearly😉, always works on hot sunny days is hemp and tares. Feed a little hemp every drop in and fish a tare on the hook amongst the loosefeed. Start off at three or four foot deep, with a strung out rig, and go from there.
Put a few tares in your hemp loosefeed.
The float will bury, giving you unmissable bites. Fish a decent size hook like a fourteen. The Roach could well be quality fish.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not the easiest method if you’re new to this but one method that, nearly😉, always works on hot sunny days is hemp and tares. Feed a little hemp every drop in and fish a tare on the hook amongst the loosefeed. Start off at three or four foot deep, with a strung out rig, and go from there.
Put a few tares in your hemp loosefeed.
The float will bury, giving you unmissable bites. Fish a decent size hook like a fourteen. The Roach could well be quality fish.
Yep spot on hemp is almost a fail safe provided the roach are there and you get your feeding and presentation right you will catch well. I’ve been amazed how well I’ve caught on hemp or hemp and tares on a few hot days in the last couple seasons including the last couple days.

davylad

Site Supporter
It fished terrible for me yesterday, I've had more fish in the depths of winter. Other anglers were the same from what I could see, and hear the moaning.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Fish tend to like any long periods of settled weather. In the heatwave of 1976 we were catching Tench at Attenborough right through the day when normally it was only very early or very late when they would feed.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It fished terrible for me yesterday, I've had more fish in the depths of winter. Other anglers were the same from what I could see, and hear the moaning.
Will you come out of next doors garden pond. You know what they said if they catch you again. 🤣🤣

You alright Dave ? Where were you fishing pal ? Not the River Hull ? Not this weather surely 😳.

Put kettle on pal. I’ve not had a decent brew since I came over to yours. 🤣👍

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Fish tend to like any long periods of settled weather. In the heatwave of 1976 we were catching Tench at Attenborough right through the day when normally it was only very early or very late when they would feed.
I wonder if anyone still fishes the pits Dave ? It’s years since I was down there. I bet I wouldn’t recognise now.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I wonder if anyone still fishes the pits Dave ? It’s years since I was down there. I bet I wouldn’t recognise now.
I went for a walk round last year mate, I struggled to get my bearings it had changed that much. Even the rickety bridge has gone. Not a soul fishing but, by God, it looked good.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Few lads talk about it on the Notts Anglers Facebook page. Get the impression it's rock hard with lots of areas choked in weed.
I don’t know why but, I had a vision in my head of it being badly weeded. Oh dear. Myself and Dave knew it in good times. Sad.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I don’t know why but, I had a vision in my head of it being badly weeded. Oh dear. Myself and Dave knew it in good times. Sad.
Toonies RIP offs. I don't recall ever framing.
Attenborough was my first memories of fishing with Ken. We used to fish where the barges unloaded in the 50's

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Toonies RIP offs. I don't recall ever framing.
Attenborough was my first memories of fishing with Ken. We used to fish where the barges unloaded in the 50's
Poor Steve. RIP Steve. We’re only kidding …………. Not. Ya rip off Ba#####d. 🤣🤣. Nah, he was alright …. In small doses. I think he was dyslexic …. With numbers. 🤣🤣

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Especially with £ in front of them🤣
Straight up I think he still owes me 5 quid. When the pools went to 14 quid with a quid winner take all I gave him a 20 spot. Got talking to Frank and forgot. I’ll catch up with the fiddling little bugger one day. 🤣🤣

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Straight up I think he still owes me 5 quid. When the pools went to 14 quid with a quid winner take all I gave him a 20 spot. Got talking to Frank and forgot. I’ll catch up with the fiddling little bugger one day. 🤣🤣
You didn't see the tattoo on his wrist then........no change given. I don't remember it being that much though, £14 Was a lot of money in those days.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
You didn't see the tattoo on his wrist then........no change given. I don't remember it being that much though, £14 Was a lot of money in those days.
They were the last ones I fished I think Dave. It was a tenner all in for years. 60+ anglers, 200 quid pegging and only paid 90 quid to the winner. Best pay day Steve ever had. 🤣🤣

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I remember them being a tenner. I seem to recall Gren being with me on a couple

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I remember them being a tenner. I seem to recall Gren being with me on a couple
I used to love long Higgin Dave. Parking up, clambering over the style, walking down the side of the yachting club if you were in the early numbers. Hoping you didn’t come back to your car broken into. I’ll have to take these rose tinted glasses off. 🤣🤣. I bet we fished the same matches you know Dave. I bet we did. 👍