Horseshoe Bend (Thornaby)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesy

Had a couple of hours there tonight. Had two Bream on the Tip and missed numerous bites(i had my 3 year old with me!). This is the biggest and my 2nd biggest ever at 4lb 4oz.

Datafile11.jpg

Had a load of Perch close in aswell. Quite a few around the half pound mark.

Also, an Otter came out of a nearby bush, had a look at us and went back. I got my Camera out just in case it reappeared, it promptly did and strolled passed us into the river. I managed to get a shot of it.

Datafile11.jpg

Last edited:

The Raven

Is that an otter? Looks like a Pine Martin or similar to me... Nice bream btw

Jamesy

Don't know, i'm not really up on my wildlife. I just assumed it was.

Strugglin

Looks like a mink to me Jamesy - be careful, they can be vicious little b**gers

Jamesy

Just had a look at some pictures and i think your right about it being a Mink. I never knew there was Mink in Thornaby!

Jamesy

By the way, a question to anyone who fishes the Tees for Bream, have they been on Steroids or something? The one in picture put up a hell of a fight and i had one last week that actually took line! Maybe its just the time of year but last year it was like dragging in a wet nappy!

Ady

Formerly Adymon
My good bream recently have been giving a scr*p and a half mate, they always dive into open water at the canal though so im shocked for a second then tell it whose boss :p

RichyK

Hi Jamesy nice catch and photos, a question ive got a week off from work and i plan to do some fishing ive already tried cundal on swale(yesterday) which resulted in a personel best barbel of 9lb 12 oz but i really fancy a crack at them tees bream where abouts do you park your car to fish horseshoe bend ?
ive fished yarm and stockton a few times over the years and ive never really hit a good shoal of bream and would love to give it a try
cheers Rich

Jamesy

If your coming from Stockton way down Thornaby road turn right at the lights near the Odd Fellows pub. Then take the next left follow the road down pass the trees till you come to a bend in the road, after the bend turn right, drive to the bottom of the road and turn left. You need to park on this road somewhere. Then go threw the kissing gate. Walk to the bottom of the bank and the Horseshoe is infront of you. Most people usually fish the right hand side.

If this weather continues and theres no more rain, there'll be no flow in the water which will make it difficult for Bream. But it has been going well. A fella next to me a couple of weeks ago had 29 to 6lb in 4 hours.

RichyK

Cheers Jamesy ive just come in from driving around the streets of thornaby and bowesfield trying to get down to the river [:(]
i should of waited for your reply
thanks for the info
And il give it a go
cheers
Rich[:D]

wandererfc

defo mink ,no offence pal but it looks nothing like a otter,but yet again you did admit not being to well up on your wildlife [;)]

it wasnt long ago when you mistaked a chub for a ide either,not having a go i just find it realy funny that you are so sure of something but keep getting told its something else [:D][:D] quality !
by the way your reports are great and i admire that you keep catching,keep up the great reports and pics pal and well done on your bream,good stuff thumbsup.gif

Jamesy

To be honest Mink are unheard of round these parts. My mate used to work for the wildlife trust and did alot of work with Water-voles. I showed him the picture and he spotted it was a Mink straight away. He said he's never heard of one being spotted round here.

Shaun_W

Nice fish mate. I am going to have a crack down those parts next week either bassleton woods or the horseshoe, assuming they are both free sections. what tactics/bait have you been using? as money is tight i will be raiding the compost heap which is brimming with worms all dendra size and was thinking some sweetcorn and crumb. will it be any good?

Jamesy

Yes both free sections. I've been useing either double red Maggot or dendra tipped with Caster. The Dendra seem to get the better quality fish. Crumb Caster and Hemp is what i usually use.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Mink in Thornaby[:0]
Shouldn't be that surprised I suppose - there was a family of foxes living in the covered yard at the back of the Northumbrian Water depot behind Asda a few years ago - used to see 'em trotting backwards and forwards all the time.

Is the Tees still well-coloured and pushing through a bit?
The Skerne in Darlington has dropped and lost its colour - that usually means the Tees will be dropping too.

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.