Hordle Lakes Hampshire (on holiday) Take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

andykel

So today, i went back to Hordle Lakes with hopefully an improvement on Tuesdays session but it turned out to be a sweet and sour (or sour then sweet) day.

Started off picking peg with OH and dog in tow and decided on the Long Lake fishing 4th peg along from Bob's Lake end. Started feeding 2 swims, a 2+2 and a 14m to the reeds feeding 2mm pellet, 6mm expander and meat fishing 4 - 6mm cubes of meat to a drennen wide gape carp 16 hook (taking advice from MD'ers on my Pole Fishing Meat topic).

Started on the 2+2 fishing on bottom at 5'. Had a couple of skimmers to 1lb and a few roach to 1lb. Then it went quiet so i tried at 14. Couldn't get the float to settle and the fish seemed to be well up in the water, so i dropped back to the 2+2 with a blob float (free in last months Match fishing mag ) at 8". Took some lovely roach to over 1lb when the mrs jumped up shouting at a wasp then "CRUNCH"! My heart sank, i took a deep breath, put my pen knife down and looked at the crushed number 7 section on my less than 3 week old Exage BX 1450!! I haven't even paid my VISA bill for it yet! Anyway she went off crying with dog and left me on my own so i decided to carry on with 2+2 at 8".

After an hour of this and feeding 6mm pellet every 20 seconds, i thougt i'd try fishing the 2+2 on the deck again. Immediately had a bream of around 3lb followed b a couple more. Then i had a good bite, struck and hooked the bottom...then the bottom started to move and after 15 minutes on 3lb HL and Yellow (medium) Vespe hollow got in a 9lb 13oz common. Took a further 19 carp to 9lb 14oz and any more roach. Some carp in A1 condition others in poor condition. But great sport and had well over 100lb in 5 hours using 1 tin of bacon grill and less than half a pint of pellet.

Replacement 7 section on order for early next week (cheers to Graeme at Ted Carter Preston over the phone!) and only really gutted i live 250 miles from this lake complex! Love it!!!

Andy

rockhopper

Nice write up buddy, thats why I would never take our gurt fishing...ouch, you should try Orchard Lakes just down the road, more scenic and stuffed with fish as well !!

Status
Not open for further replies.