Hopeless line clip mod

Marker50

Site Supporter
Will ponder if i go for a stroll round flask.
So you cast out hit your original clip.
Then take your gum that is trapped under all your line ?
Unclip then loop gum round line and clip

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Here's how to do it with the Power Gum...

Get an empty reel spool
Make a loop of Power Gum about 50mm or so long (lengths vary depending on spool size and make)
Put the knotted end on your empty spool with the loop on the bottom inner face of the spool facing out near to your spool's line clip
Then wind your line on as you would do normally so that the loop remains facing outwards but is trapped by the line as you wind it on

Once the spool is loaded you should end up with a loop of Power Gum sticking out from the base of the spool near to the line clip

To use it, cast out to the required spot then take the loop, put it over your line and clip the loop into the line clip
Your line should now be trapped by the Power Gum and if you need to free it it's simply a case of unclipping the Power Gum from the line clip

Marker50

Site Supporter
Brill dave.
Sunk in now.put hammer nd chisel away ?got a couple of mini bait runners to spool up. but clips arnt the best design.
May as well give it a whirl.
Does the gum not cut through

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The Power Gum is a lot tougher than mono or braid so the theory goes

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I thought we had a mini junior section at first,
Then I realized Winston must have learnt how to draw.?

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
What folk forget is most “line clips” were designed for tidying your spoils and defo NOT for using as a distance marker when casting!

The old trick of using a piece of inner tube on the spool is still best method for maintaining distance marker in my opinion, I’ve been using it since mid 70’s when the late great Ivan Marks did an article on its use in his old Angling Times column.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!
That's what I thought.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
In the days when you used to completely de-rig your rod and pop the end of the line in the clip l came up with a cunning time saving idea. I used to leave my rod made up and fold it up and secure with laccy bands. I took the spool off and popped the reel into my box. I put the folded down rod into a tube and the clipped up spool fitted onto a thin bolt with the same sized thread as the reel l had fitted to the tube cap. The spool was held in place by the clutch tensioner. Saved loads of time back then and protected your rods from damage.
Later on l just fitted a small cloth bag to the tube cap and popped the spool into that, much less engineering involved?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Yes the wider the better

squimp

Site Supporter
And remember to put some kind of marker on the line - so if it pulls out from under the band you have a reference point. I use a dab of nail varnish or a stop knot tied with cotton.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Piece of insulating tape round the line or some fine pole elastic tied tight...
I use "Think Anglers" marker tabs... they are small sticky bits of paper that you fold over the line to mark it