Hopeless line clip mod

zipper-de-doodah

A liner, about four hours ago...
So I read in the Angling Times (first mistake) that it is a great idea to tuck a short length of Powergum under the line clip, leave about two half inch lengths on the spool and wind on the line. This apparently makes a lovely safe mod to the line clip. I dutifully converted nine reels (second mistake). I'm sure you can see what's coming! First trip out, line regularly falls out from the clip on each setup that I used. I therefore spent another afternoon taking all the Powergum out of each reel. I know, I know..... try it out on one rod first...... Maybe others have had more luck with this but I found it completely useless and I'm back to standard clips, which work just fine.

richox12

I do that mod with all of my reels so the line under the clip (plastic) is not compressed too much or too tight. Except....................don't use Powergum as it's too thick. I use Feedergum.

zipper-de-doodah

A liner, about four hours ago...
Maybe it's the type of clip? I have Baitrunner reels with the metal spring clip. I did use light Feedergum, but it was bloody hopeless. Could be just me......

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Use a piece of tyre inner tube stretched over the spool once your desired distance has been achieved

Gaz9243

A large pellet band folded over your line, then under your line clip is another good option.

SteveAmo

What folk forget is most “line clips” were designed for tidying your spoils and defo NOT for using as a distance marker when casting!

The old trick of using a piece of inner tube on the spool is still best method for maintaining distance marker in my opinion, I’ve been using it since mid 70’s when the late great Ivan Marks did an article on its use in his old Angling Times column.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
What folk forget is most “line clips” were designed for tidying your spoils and defo NOT for using as a distance marker when casting!

The old trick of using a piece of inner tube on the spool is still best method for maintaining distance marker in my opinion, I’ve been using it since mid 70’s when the late great Ivan Marks did an article on its use in his old Angling Times column.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!
But they are designed now to use as a distance marker. The Map ACS had an auto disengage system incase you had to let a big fish run. Modern reels today have sprung line clips and are round in shape to prevent any damage to the line. The inner tube idea was good in its day but not really needed now, not that l'd knock anybody that still uses it. If its good for you then crack on.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
As Godber says, manufacturers know what anglers use the line clip for and design accordingly.

It surprised me that people seem to have an issue with line clips on expensive reels while I have never had a problem with my £10 ones.

SteveAmo

But they are designed now to use as a distance marker. The Map ACS had an auto disengage system incase you had to let a big fish run. Modern reels today have sprung line clips and are round in shape to prevent any damage to the line. The inner tube idea was good in its day but not really needed now, not that l'd knock anybody that still uses it. If its good for you then crack on.
Sadly some manufacturers have designed their “line clips” on some modern reels very poorly and by that I don’t mean at the cheaper end of the market! I know afew lads who’ve had issues where their brand new line clip has cut off their new braid first time out! Not good to say the least particularly when they’ve spent £200 plus on a Distance reel.

squimp

Site Supporter
Quite agree With NOTN. There has been at least 3 threads recently about using line clips - I don’t get it.

ive used line clips Virtually every cast (bottom fishing) since about 1985 and only had one set of reels (Daiwa emblem carp I think) in all that time that needed the line clips modding. A short piece of pole elastic or a piece of insulating tape behind the clip and all was fine. I’ve never bought a £200 carp reel - I don’t need them.

why don’t people test stuff ??

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
There will always be good and bad in tackle mate. Its a case of doing a bit of investigation by tackle reviews and word of mouth before laying out your cash.
Sometimes, like the inner tube, the simple, cheapest option is best?

Marker50

Site Supporter
Pardon me for sounding dim here.
What stops the line with the feedergum method?

Arry

Site Supporter
Problem is you cant test stuff in the real world before buying.... its not sale or return is it... there are ways of marking yout line so you cast accurately too... bit of tape round the line at your rewuired distance... as soon as it hits the rings you hear it and trap the cast... samecwith a bit of pole elastic... best by far is the inner tube... been using it since the 70's meself... if you are om a big pit reel get a bigger bit of inner tube... simple innit..? Just ask any bike shop if the have any punctured tubes past saving.. most let you have em for nowt and you have years worth of line clips... jobs a goodun

Arry

Site Supporter
Pardon me for sounding dim here.
What stops the line with the feedergum method?
You loop the feedergum round the line then put the feedergum in the clip

Marker50

Site Supporter
Ahh i see.so its trapped under line below.
Leaving a loop of feedergum to put line through.?

Arry

Site Supporter
Make a small loop in the feeder gum, loop it over the line and then place the end of the loop in the line clip