hooks ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete2k7

hi i was fishing yesterday at woodlands and i was using size 12 maver hook got loads of bream and every time i got a big carp got off the hook is that cos there were not hooked right aw is it the hook etc just wonding cos it don my head in what hooks do you use what are good and what size?

mattyts

drennan power carp,kamasan b911(eyed) or preston pr38 and 36
Originally posted by pete2k7

hi i was fishing yesterday at woodlands and i was using size 12 maver hook got loads of bream and every time i got a big carp got off the hook is that cos there were not hooked right aw is it the hook etc just wonding cos it don my head in what hooks do you use what are good and what size?

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
B911 in size 12 will open up as I dont think the wire is thick enough for carp on a size 12.
There has been a lot of rain over the last few days and the temperature has dropped.
The water that enters the lake will sink to the bottom and make a layer of cold water.
The carp in saterdays match were laying in the mid to upper layers of the water giving ppl line bites.
Its very posible if the hooks you use normaly work for you the fish were foul hooked.

Hook choise is personal what works for one does not work for another
In size 12 for carp at woodlands I use PR27 ( for hairs ) and PR28 ( no longer made but I have a small stash ! )

PaulN

thetraveller

I have no confidence in Pr27, 28 and 36's at Woodlands. Tubertini 175 on the float and QM1's for the lead/feeder.

keiranrussell

i had the same problem up woodlands and changed onto size 12 middy hooks for the carp and size 14 kamasan for the bream

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Sometimes I think too big a hook is the problem.

I am now using Fox Carp Match 2 hooks and find the size 20 handles most things. The only problem is that the max diameter line I can use for the knotless lnot is 0.15. So I use the 18 if I want to fish 0.17. I do use a 14 for paste.

For canal silvers I use the Fox MP1.

pmdirectuk

Should check more!
ust on this, I was using the kamasan B5xx catching big big perch and they kept bending. I borrowed a size 18 animal off a kid near me who told me he had something that would help... Now I dont use anyhing else. they are great.

SteveH

Lindholme Refugee
Originally posted by Neil ofthe nene

I am now using Fox Carp Match 2 hooks and find the size 20 handles most things. The only problem is that the max diameter line I can use for the knotless lnot is 0.15. So I use the 18 if I want to fish 0.17. I do use a 14 for paste.

Colmic do a line called mimetix, at 4.57 kg breaking strain it is only 1.5 mm diameter. Treated with fluorine to slow down decay in the water ( it is a nylon line). I tested it at home and it seems to be about right with the breaking strain. It is soft supple and smooth and to human sight disappears in water. It is easy to tie secure knots with too. I am using it on my newly tied method hook-lengths and will let you know how I get on with it.

SteveH

Lindholme Refugee
Originally posted by pmdirectuk

ust on this, I was using the kamasan B5xx catching big big perch and they kept bending. I borrowed a size 18 animal off a kid near me who told me he had something that would help... Now I dont use anyhing else. they are great.

Up to now Kamasan Animals are my favourite 'all rounder' hooks and have been for years. Start sharp, remain sharp and strong. Some don't like them because they are shiny, but I have had fish take a bare hook so I don't let that worry me too mush :)

getfishing

Pete
Originally posted by SteveH

Originally posted by Neil ofthe nene

Colmic do a line called mimetix, at 4.57 kg breaking strain it is only 1.5 mm diameter. Treated with fluorine to slow down decay in the water ( it is a nylon line). I tested it at home and it seems to be about right with the breaking strain. It is soft supple and smooth and to human sight disappears in water. It is easy to tie secure knots with too. I am using it on my newly tied method hook-lengths and will let you know how I get on with it.
1.5mm, what you doing sea fishing?lol

SteveH

Lindholme Refugee
LOL, got my decimal point in the wrong place ......should have said 0.15 sorry :)

Chep

sicknote
If you are feeder fishing I would highly reccomend the GURU QM1's

fantastic hooks and I have lost fewer fish since using them.

Status
Not open for further replies.