Hooks straightening out?

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I stopped using Preston PR36 hooks for pellet waggler and bomb, after I lost too many fish due to hooks straightening.
I sent three examples of these straightened hooks to Preston, and to their credit, they responded suggesting PR38 hooks, and sent me a couple of freebie packets to try.
The PR38 were heavier, but still straightened out on occasions.

I tried Guru Pellet Waggler hooks, and found them superb, "sticky" sharp like the PR hooks, but less prone to straightening.

Yesterday I had three Guru Pellet Waggler hooks straighten out on me, when using them for fishing bomb & pellet fished on a banded hair rig.
Yes, I play my fish quite hard, like yesterday when I was fishing clipped up to an island, and was having to cast up to the undercut bank to get a bite.
The fish would run parallel to the bank, trying to dive under the bank, then once into open water, run away taking line up to the clip.
I did manage to unclip in time to stop a couple of fish from escaping, but it was real squeaky bum stuff!
The fish were no more than 6lb, but full tailed, very fit beasties.

Which hook do you guys recommend for such a situation, please?

And almost a separate subject, do you ever reshape a straightened hook using forceps?
I did that several times, and believe I never lost a fish through doing it?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I stopped using Preston PR36 hooks for pellet waggler and bomb, after I lost too many fish due to hooks straightening.
I sent three examples of these straightened hooks to Preston, and to their credit, they responded suggesting PR38 hooks, and sent me a couple of freebie packets to try.
The PR38 were heavier, but still straightened out on occasions.

I tried Guru Pellet Waggler hooks, and found them superb, "sticky" sharp like the PR hooks, but less prone to straightening.

Yesterday I had three Guru Pellet Waggler hooks straighten out on me, when using them for fishing bomb & pellet fished on a banded hair rig.
Yes, I play my fish quite hard, like yesterday when I was fishing clipped up to an island, and was having to cast up to the undercut bank to get a bite.
The fish would run parallel to the bank, trying to dive under the bank, then once into open water, run away taking line up to the clip.
I did manage to unclip in time to stop a couple of fish from escaping, but it was real squeaky bum stuff!
The fish were no more than 6lb, but full tailed, very fit beasties.

Which hook do you guys recommend for such a situation, please?

And almost a separate subject, do you ever reshape a straightened hook using forceps?
I did that several times, and believe I never lost a fish through doing it?
Guru qm1 for both 10 or 12

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Guru qm1 for both 10 or 12

Thanks for the reply.

But Guru QM1 size 10 are enormous, especially given that Guru sizes are usually a couple of sizes above what you'd think is right?
It's only a 6mm pellet I'm hair-rigging.
I use size 18, which is as big as a Preston 16 or even 14! o_O

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I only use one make...Kamasan B911's..can't fault them.
No, I don't try to straighten a hook when it's out of shape, that bend will cause a weakness and putting it back into shape will weaken it even more.

Last edited:

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Any bent hook I have always gets changed.
I only use one make...Kamasan B911's..can't fault them.
I too am/were a lover of these, but recently had 3 bend in one day, this was on a 5lb bream lost at the net
IMG_20190807_163853.jpg
All 3 were from the same packet, had used some previously with no problem.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Any bent hook I have always gets changed.

I too am/were a lover of these, but recently had 3 bend in one day, this was on a 5lb bream lost at the net
IMG_20190807_163853.jpg
All 3 were from the same packet, had used some previously with no problem.

Bad batch maybe? I have used the B911 for years and only had this happen twice. On Bream/Tench/Carp sessions I use the B911 X-Strong.
@sly had a hook straighten out on him yesterday but I'm not sure of the make/model.

Last edited:

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Thanks for the reply.

But Guru QM1 size 10 are enormous, especially given that Guru sizes are usually a couple of sizes above what you'd think is right?
It's only a 6mm pellet I'm hair-rigging.
I use size 18, which is as big as a Preston 16 or even 14! o_O
Well use a smaller one then, I use those sizes fo 8mm pellets and bigger .....quite honestly I've gone through all types of hooks, I fish for carp from 6 -20 lb on the pellet wag/bomb......and they are the only ones I haven't straightened

Fred Davis

I use PR38's never had a problem the guru pellet hooks bend out to easy, to be honest even in hit and hold the pr38's seem ok but you need to check them after every lump we talking 10lb plus fish however for most normal fishing if you have you clutch set right a hook should never straighten out, power rods are a no no with carp and cause this sort of problem a nice soft parabolic action means carp pull less because the harder you pull the harder carp will pull back.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I use PR38's never had a problem the guru pellet hooks bend out to easy, to be honest even in hit and hold the pr38's seem ok but you need to check them after every lump we talking 10lb plus fish however for most normal fishing if you have you clutch set right a hook should never straighten out, power rods are a no no with carp and cause this sort of problem a nice soft parabolic action means carp pull less because the harder you pull the harder carp will pull back.

Set the clutch how you want. a fast running fish when you are clipped up requires a bit of nimble handiwork to unclip before you are broken or the hook straightens.

And it's not the size of the fish in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the fish!
I've had upper doubles come in like a lamb, or rather, a dead sheep.
Whereas a fit, big tailed 5lb ghostie has taken the skin off my palms, when I've been using a centrepin reel.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Thanks everybody for your suggestions!
Looks like a trial with Guru QM1's is on the cards.
:)(y)

Total

Site Supporter
Well use a smaller one then, I use those sizes fo 8mm pellets and bigger .....quite honestly I've gone through all types of hooks, I fish for carp from 6 -20 lb on the pellet wag/bomb......and they are the only ones I haven't straightened

.....Even the Guru MWG pattern mate?:unsure: