Hooks how many ?

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
I've just been tieing some hooks, but where do you stop how many patterns and size to what diameter of line, where do you draw the line, thats just spade end for the river, I don't do much commercial fishing but if I did the options are endless band spike rapid stop lasso.

How do you decide what to tie, do you tie for a venue or just have a standard selection. How many boxes ?

I've decided on 3 boxes one 10cm 5 pegs for method and 1x30cm for barbless with 10 pegs and 1x30cm barbed with 20 pegs. Oh and 4 spools of feeder hooks.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@Mike atkinson thats what I tie but for example on the river I like the preston n10 in an 18 I could tie that to .06 .07 .08 up to 1.2 before to long you have one hook in one size taking up half a box how do you decide the best combination without having 20 boxes tieing everything to all diameters.

PearTree

Calder Reborn....
Site Supporter
I fish mainly rivers and natural venues like canals. I have very few of the same size and model of any particular hook tied to different diameter hook lengths.

If I wanted to change from a size 20 Mustad Canal Seed on 0.10 to a hook tied to 0.12 I would use a slightly stronger pattern, eg a Kamasan B611.

I try and keep things simple because otherwise the combinations are endless. Having said that I have been going through something of a 'midlife hook crisis' of late as some of my long term favourite hooks have been discontinued :unsure:

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
how do you decide the best combination without having 20 boxes tieing everything to all diameters.
Decide what you're going to target and tie the hooks to suit then leave the rest at home or tie on the bank.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
For me it is fairly simple. All on Reflo Power

Commercials

Pole (10 inch)

B911 16 to 0.17
Ditto with band
B911 18 to 0.13 with band
B611 16 to 0.13
B611 18 to 0.10 (Winter)
B911XS 16 to 0.21 (rarely used)

Feeder (4 inch)

B911 16 to 0.17
Ditto with band
Ditto with hair loop

I could tie all B911s with a band and cut off the band to leave a hair loop or cut off the whole hair to leave just the hook.

Canal

Sensas 3530 20 to 0.06 (4 inch)
Fox MP1 24 to 0.06 (10 inch)

River (all 10 inch)

B520 16 to 0.08 (float)
B511 14 to 0.10 (feeder)

If I wanted stronger hooks and hooklengths for canal or river I would use the commercial hooklengths.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I carry maybe a dozen ready tied hook lengths - hair-rigs with bands in the loop or bait spikes - the sort of thing which may take a while to knock up on the bank.
Everything else I just tie on the bank, so I can choose the correct hook, the correct diameter of the hook-length and the correct length to suit that swim, on that bit of water, on that particular day.

I don't really tend to lose a lot of hooks during the course of a day's fishing so whipping on a new one is no real hardship.
Some people seem to have several hundred hooks tied up - unless they're really rubbish casters or get bust a lot they can't possibly use them all during the course of a season - so are some of these hook-lengths three or four years old?
Rusty hooks and rotten nylon?

Or are the whole lot binned every 18 months or so and a whole new set tied up - presumably when a new range of Guru or Preston hooks are released the old ones immediately become obsolete and should be discarded - or is that just the impression the sponsored anglers on Youtube and in the angling press give.

Not for me - I tie them as I need them (y)

Simon

chris1967

Site Supporter
x1 box of qm1''s 12's and 14's 12" for straight lead mixed with some 4" ones for method feeder and x1 box of guru x strong 10 ,12, 14's 6" long for the pole all tied to .19 reflo and will drop to .17 for winter .
yes finesse is not my thing but carp dont seem to respect fishing tackle and if i'm hooking one it's coming in

Attachments

• IMG_1559.JPG
    IMG_1559.JPG
    235.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1557.JPG
    IMG_1557.JPG
    293.6 KB · Views: 5

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have a few ready tied, as Simon says above mainly hairs and bands, every thing else I tie on the bank as and when I need them always done it that way, I tie them by hand (no hook tier) but am struggling a little with size 22's and 24's as I get older. As for length they all the same length (unless I need a really short one for the feeder), the length is if I hold the hook between my thumb and fore finger they are the length to the inside of my elbow joint, then I know if I have to replace one it is the same length as the one I took off

Roger_feederer

Only tie what you are going to use. If say, you havent used that hook/line combo the last 3 trips, sack them off, cut them down and re-tie as ones you do use. It looks nice and neat but whats the point if its useless?

This can be applied to all tackle really. oh its just a few more hooklengths i might need turns into oh its just a few more feeders/box accessories/ 1kg bag of bait etc etc i might need. It can quickly mount up into backbreaking weights that you need to lug half a mile to you peg. No thankyou, trim the fat, your knees and back will thank you.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Only tie what you are going to use. If say, you havent used that hook/line combo the last 3 trips, sack them off, cut them down and re-tie as ones you do use. It looks nice and neat but whats the point if its useless?

This can be applied to all tackle really. oh its just a few more hooklengths i might need turns into oh its just a few more feeders/box accessories/ 1kg bag of bait etc etc i might need. It can quickly mount up into backbreaking weights that you need to lug half a mile to you peg. No thankyou, trim the fat, your knees and back will thank you.
What nonsense, I might go somewhere completely different on the 4th trip and have cut up all my hooklengths I need for that venue following that advice. I have plenty tied, I know exactly what each one is for and what situation, occasionally I have two similar patterns tied if I’m trying a new hook.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
What nonsense, I might go somewhere completely different on the 4th trip and have cut up all my hooklengths I need for that venue following that advice. I have plenty tied, I know exactly what each one is for and what situation, occasionally I have two similar patterns tied if I’m trying a new hook.
There’s been quite a bit of nonsense posted on this thread Chris 😂😂

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
I have a couple hundred packs of ready tied of all makes at home, drennan, kamasans, saiko, middy, mustad, etc

all bought mainly as part of job lots, the only ones I tend to buy specifically are drennan silverfish maggot and silverfish pellet

I just change whatevers in the box for what I think I will need for the venue in question

if they are too long, it takes just a minute to cut them down to length for how I want to fish

got bandits, quickstops, and just plain hooks of all sizes and line strengths

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I believe that Nathan Watson used to tie on the bank, which is what I do as well.
I do leave hook lengths on pole and stick rigs, so it’s only waggler and lead rods that get done from scratch Every time.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I have a couple hundred packs of ready tied of all makes at home, drennan, kamasans, saiko, middy, mustad, etc

all bought mainly as part of job lots, the only ones I tend to buy specifically are drennan silverfish maggot and silverfish pellet

I just change whatevers in the box for what I think I will need for the venue in question

if they are too long, it takes just a minute to cut them down to length for how I want to fish

got bandits, quickstops, and just plain hooks of all sizes and line strengths
Same here there's so many good pre-tied ones available these days. Far better quality than I used to tied myself not to mention a lot more convenient.

Mostly use drennan in silverfish maggot, silverfish pellet, wide gape pellet, carp maggot mostly plus quite a few kamasans in b510, b611, b911 and animal. Covers various lengths from 8 inch to 15 inch but can adjust them, hook sizes from 20 to 10 and breaking strains from 1.5lb to 6lb. Multiple packets of the regularly used ones and single packets of the occasional ones. I've probably got more than your average pleasure angler would ever need but it's nice to have them all just in case not that I take literally all of them every time.

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
Same here there's so many good pre-tied ones available these days. Far better quality than I used to tied myself not to mention a lot more convenient.

Mostly use drennan in silverfish maggot, silverfish pellet, wide gape pellet, carp maggot mostly plus quite a few kamasans in b510, b611, b911 and animal. Covers various lengths from 8 inch to 15 inch but can adjust them, hook sizes from 20 to 10 and breaking strains from 1.5lb to 6lb. Multiple packets of the regularly used ones and single packets of the occasional ones. I've probably got more than your average pleasure angler would ever need but it's nice to have them all just in case not that I take literally all of them every time.
they are tied using CNC machines theses days and are of remarkable quality, far better and more consistant than in the past

I would like some lighter hooklengths or a supplier for them, as I am now running low, (by my standards) of the older drennan team england hooks

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
they are tied using CNC machines theses days and are of remarkable quality, far better and more consistant than in the past

I would like some lighter hooklengths or a supplier for them, as I am now running low, (by my standards) of the older drennan team england hooks
Yeah they never pigtail anymore do they and seem to not break until put under pressure way beyond what you think they'd take. Very well made indeed.