Hooks for hemp

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It’s the same here on the thames when you fish the feeder but generally they aren’t too bad when float fishing. As it happens the stour is the only other place I’ve fished where they seem as numerous as the Thames.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
It seems the stour has had an explosion of small roach and rud, there are quality fish there getting through the bits is tough, think that's why we have so many pike it's a healthy river.

jasonb

Account Locked
Easy option is these, good all round roach hook that’s not too heavy but strong and tied to good line...not drennan unknown rubbish.

adriang

Site Supporter
Had a very similar experience, and next trip to my tackle shop I had a look, probably the first time I've bought hooks from a UK tackle shop in 25 years and I was a little surprised that with the lack of choice to what I remembered, but I bought Drennan fine match 18's, and they have been great for hemp and tares on the Thames.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Tubertini series 2 are my favourites hemp and tare fishing. Normally an 18 for hemp and a 16 for tares.

Chavey1

Fudgley-Fisher pop into Todber manor they stock the best hemp hook going, the Hayabusa 128, personally I use the size 19 which I think is perfect for hemp, it’s a very well used hook with hemp anglers an venues such as Evesham and the fen drains So perfect for the stour. They also have Colmic Frank pole floats in stock which are getting a good reputation of being the go to pole float for hemp fishing. Rich

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@Chavey1 I'll defiantly pop to todber only 6 miles from me, i don't use a pole but would those pole floats be ok on a 8m system whip.

Chavey1

@Chavey1 I'll defiantly pop to todber only 6 miles from me, i don't use a pole but would those pole floats be ok on a 8m system whip.
The floats will be spot on for the whip, todber have got them in stock from 0.3g-1g.
I did see on another post that you were on the lookout for a 14ft spliced tip river rod, Colmic still make a spliced tip rod which’s be ideal for your needs, I can drop one over to Todber, along with all our other float rod samples if you like? I’m only in Shaftesbury and it wouldn’t be a problem. Rich