Hooks for hemp

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Thoughts on best hooks, had an interesting session yesterday was very slow after rotating caster maggot pinky punch finally, stuck hemp on not had lots of success with the seed in the past but all of a sudden there were good roach there, but I bumped a fair few and lost some on playing, i put it down to to narrow a hook and short shank, after looking at my spare hooks I did not have any fine wire wide/wider gape long/longer shank, so what hook for the seed please.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Mustad AS08 is what I use in sizes 16 and 18. Try using stotz or styles on the line when fishing hemp. You wont get as many shot bites. Best to use some soft elastic as roach when feeding on hemp become ' frenzied ' and snatch at bait. Feed little and often but, try not to get too many roach into your swim all at the same time or you'll miss loads of bites, bump fish off or fowl hook some. Good luck. ?

Imperium

If you dont mind pre-tied hook-lengths then Drennan Carp Maggot Hooklengths are actually quite good although red and designed for maggots they have a unique bend shape which accommodates hemp well whilst leaving the point exposed

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
B611.

More info on the B611 from Wikipedia -

The B-611 is a Chinese solid-fuelled short-range ballistic missile developed by China Precision Machinery Import-Export Corporation. The missile has a maximum range of 150-400 km. The B-611 development began development in 1995, and first shown in 2004. A newer variant was shown in late 2006. Wikipedia
Guidance system: Inertial and Optical guidance systems
Operational range: 150-480 km
China Precision Machinery Import-Export Corporation
Engine: solid fuel rocket motor

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Was getting no liners before putting hemp in the hook, was feeding hemp for hour before I tried it.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
what hook brand and size were you using fugley-fisher?
Also how were you hooking the hemp?

FWIW - I user tubertini serie 2 - which are VERY similar to the mustad round bends that tipitinmick mentioned - but the shotting pattern, feeding, hook size and method of hooking are all more important than the hook shape.

JayD

I don't 'hook' the hemp, I've always squeezed the seed vertically, and put the shank end of the bend into the gap, when released it closes on the hook, leaving the point exposed. Any mid to fine wire hook with a round bend, sized 18-16 depending on size of seed, works for me.

John.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I just use the drennan silverfish 18 to 2.5lb hooks to nylon same as I do for maggot. Decent size grains tend to squeeze onto them pretty well and don’t fall off or result in many missed bites or bumped fish unless it’s windy.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
I think most of the issues were the bought hemp being really over cooked and hard to hook tried the needle tried pinching it in the slit, but being over cooked the shell was brittle, feeding was a 8-15 grains per put throgh, float was a drennan 3bb stick, started with shirt button couple no 1s 4s down to no8 no 9 but when went to the seed I changed the no9 dropper to a quick change swivel and bulked the shot 30cm above the swivel hook lenth was .10 to a preston size 20 maggot old pattern can't remember the no of it but quite narrow, but I think my main issue was the 6-10 pike that took a shine to my roach.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Of the pre hooked versions Frenzied hemp is pretty good for hooking, I’m not such a fan of the sonubaits version but it’s useable. I generally cook my own but like to have a couple tins in waiting in case I need them on short notice. My 2 best sessions this season came on frenzied hemp as it happens rather than home cooked but I had 3 almost as good sessions on home cooked stuff so I think it was probably just coincidence that the best 2 came on tinned.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
I just need to pull my finger out ive got a 15kg sack of hemp, but I ran out of my last batch, and tears, the missus not to keen on the smell.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I think most of the issues were the bought hemp being really over cooked and hard to hook tried the needle tried pinching it in the slit, but being over cooked the shell was brittle, feeding was a 8-15 grains per put throgh, float was a drennan 3bb stick, started with shirt button couple no 1s 4s down to no8 no 9 but when went to the seed I changed the no9 dropper to a quick change swivel and bulked the shot 30cm above the swivel hook lenth was .10 to a preston size 20 maggot old pattern can't remember the no of it but quite narrow, but I think my main issue was the 6-10 pike that took a shine to my roach.
6 - 10 pike. That’s a Nicky Dodds swim that is. ??

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@tipitinmick at the moment I've been plagued by them anything from small 1lbers all the way to jaws 20lb + the bigger ones only seem to take a couple then disappear the 1lb -8lb seem to crash about and chase everything.