Hooks and all things terminal wise.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Following up from my first outing on Mushroom lakes and the cock ups that ensued....
I really need a heads up on hooks and hook lengths.
When it comes to fly fishing I have a plethora of hooks ranging from size 8 to 32 but these are predominantly designed for fly and are mainly barbed.
You can squish the barb (which I always do) to accommodate fishery rules and to be honest tying flies on both barbed a barbless throws up a whole world of issues as you cannot get the same hook, say a B711 by Kamasan in a barbless format.?
I always fish barbless (or crunched barbs), I would rather lose a fish than wrestle it on the bank whilst trying to remove the hook, lessons learnt from catch and kill reservoirs.

I digress, I got a bit off topic in my explanation. So, in short, I'm looking for size 12, 14,16 in barbless that has a good gape, eyed or comes with a hooklink already tied.
Suggestions please and thank you... They will be used for old school meat and corn on the hook, I'm to ruddy old to be bothering with pellets and rubber bands!!
Munchy

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I digress, I got a bit off topic in my explanation. So, in short, I'm looking for size 12, 14,16 in barbless that has a good gape, eyed or comes with a hooklink already tied.
Suggestions please and thank you... They will be used for old school meat and corn on the hook, I'm to ruddy old to be bothering with pellets and rubber bands!!
Munchy

How about these? Barbless, in the sizes you want and eyed...

Silver fan 82

Second choice would be Drennen wide gape patterns but I think that Kamasan have the edge for me personally. Just a confidence thing.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’d second the Kamasan Animal - use them for targeted carp bashing but a great tench hook too - work really well with both meat and corn

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
My choice would be Guru, either LWG or Kaizen, the Kaizen hooks are deceptively strong for their gauge.

smiffy

Site Supporter
You can get B711 barbless. Not ready tied but if that’s a hook you like then they are available.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
^^ In the cooler months only? (knowing the venues you fish from your blogs):unsure:
All year round, rarely use anything else now, apart from B960‘S for pellet fishing when targeting big carp.

TimFB

I don't tend to fish corn, but i find these to be great for fishing meat.
Another vote for these. I use them for all my feeder/river fishing and found them very reliable. Plenty strong enough... have had carp to 21 1/2 on a size 12 whilst targeting Tench/bream.

solwood

Site Supporter
Few eyed hooks come pre tied, also be aware that pinched barbs are not allowed on many venues and in many clubs too so safer to use true barbless.

Drennan wide gapes are great hooks as are the Kamasan Suggested above

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Thank you very much for the info, Bobco took more of my money today... Both Kamasan and Drennan purchased along with a few extra bits n bobs that I probably don't really need.
Off tomorrow and taking Mrs Munch fishing for the 1st time in her life. This should make for some report!
Cheers all.
Munchy

Silver fan 82

Thank you very much for the info, Bobco took more of my money today... Both Kamasan and Drennan purchased along with a few extra bits n bobs that I probably don't really need.
Off tomorrow and taking Mrs Munch fishing for the 1st time in her life. This should make for some report!
Cheers all.
Munchy
Good luck for tomorrow ??

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
Guru XS I think are now being released as an eyed.