Hooklength... lengths

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
Apart from my PI absolute hooklength box, all my others are maximum 6". The pre-tied drennan hooklengths I have been buying are also 6".

Is 6" the standard /optimal length for a hooklength or do I need a selection of lengths? I know short lengths are used for method feeder setups but most of my fishing is standard float fishing on stillwaters.

I picked up a PI hooklength box today that holds hooklengths upto 12" should I need them that length.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
For float fishing with rod and line I use mostly around 10 inches occasionally up to around 12 inches (very occasionally around 6-8 inches on the whip but typically the same as running line) but for feeder fishing I’ll use anything from 8 inches to 36 inches.

JLK

For pole fishing I use.
3" for F1s shallow or deep.
4" for roach and skimmers.
6" for caster.
6" for carp
Last dropper or bulk on the hook length knot in the above scenarios.
6"- 36"+ for creative thinking like laying on or if its towing.
Shot applied to hooklength as and when needed for longer hooklength sizes.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Apart from my PI absolute hooklength box, all my others are maximum 6". The pre-tied drennan hooklengths I have been buying are also 6".

Is 6" the standard /optimal length for a hooklength or do I need a selection of lengths? I know short lengths are used for method feeder setups but most of my fishing is standard float fishing on stillwaters.

I picked up a PI hooklength box today that holds hooklengths upto 12" should I need them that length.
One of my favourite topics, I hate short hook lengths. On the river I would use a 3ft hook length. On still waters, especially when after bream, I would sometimes go up to a 6ft length.

Whisker

Here, there and everywhere.
Site Supporter
Most of mine are 6”.
I bought some 4” Guru hooklengths to try when margin fishing in summer and I’ve made a box of 20” lengths for feeder fishing at the Glebe.

Paul22

It really depends on you !
There isn’t a wrong or right way to have your hook length’s……
One consideration is do you want to put shot on the hook length if not then a short hook length will be required.
Bob nudd told me he likes to use longer hook lengths and doesn’t mind putting shot on them Lee Kerry use’s short hook length and doesn’t like putting shot in them both brilliant anglers.
There definitely is a lot of trends that seem to happen and often with valid reasoning behind them but I tend to work things out to suit me ……
Biggest example I can think of is I still use a hook wallet and hook packets 99.9 percent of people would probably laugh at that but it works for me !!!!!

davepellet

Suppose it depends how close you need your lowest shot to be... just tied up about 30 x 6” hook lengths for my grayling fishing, hook length attaches to a micro swivel and for me 6” is spot on with a bulk shotting a further 6” above the swivel

Always 6” hook lengths for my pole rigs
waggler usually 12” and feeder can be anything from 12” to 3ft

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I use 6" a lot for waggler fishing, as often fishing for Crucians, I want the dropper that close to the hook. Longer hooklengths are for rivers or feeders for me. Shorter hooklengths are for some pole rigs. All very 'scientific' with me though as I tie them on the bank most of the time.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Suppose it depends how close you need your lowest shot to be... just tied up about 30 x 6” hook lengths for my grayling fishing, hook length attaches to a micro swivel and for me 6” is spot on with a bulk shotting a further 6” above the swivel

Always 6” hook lengths for my pole rigs
waggler usually 12” and feeder can be anything from 12” to 3ft
Totally agree mate and the reason I favour long hook lengths is from my time on the Trent circuit when you would be sliding your bottom shot up and down to suit the conditions.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
I have used 6" because that's what has seemed standard. I don't fish with shot on the hooklength. I sometimes have a shot by the loop and use it to 'anchor bottom'

OldTaff

Site Supporter
My method feeder hooks are tied to 4” which I can shorten to 3” or 2” if required & kept on a PI mag store box

My float hooks are almost entirely on 6” in a standard PI case

I have a small range of 18” feeder hooklengths that live in a MAP match case and get used mostly for stillwater bomb work.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
There is a trend for very short hooklengths on pole rigs, of 3 or 4in. It's so you can have the bottom telltale shot as close to the hook as possible, without having shot on the hooklength. It's because F1s and skimmers can often mouth the hookbait without registering any movement on the float,with a standard 6in hooklength. On the Matrix YouTube channel, there's a film by Jamie Hughes, showing what's happening underwater and it shows fish mouthing his baits without him seeing a bite.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
12” for waggler.
20” stick/Avon/bolo.

Sometimes shorter if context demands it, but I don’t like the faff of a million different lengths. Keep it simple 😎

ravey

It really depends on you !
There isn’t a wrong or right way to have your hook length’s……
One consideration is do you want to put shot on the hook length if not then a short hook length will be required.
Bob nudd told me he likes to use longer hook lengths and doesn’t mind putting shot on them Lee Kerry use’s short hook length and doesn’t like putting shot in them both brilliant anglers.
There definitely is a lot of trends that seem to happen and often with valid reasoning behind them but I tend to work things out to suit me ……
Biggest example I can think of is I still use a hook wallet and hook packets 99.9 percent of people would probably laugh at that but it works for me !!!!!
Same here!

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
I have a rig box that will hold upto 12" now.
I may tie up a few larger ones just in case.