Hooking Yourself

matiny2k

Particularly if in a match I'm thinking. If you accidentally hook your sleeve or your keepnet or something like that and you can't unhook it. Do you get the scissors out and cut free or do you sacrifice your rig ?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Had a microbarb in me lip once... size 16... bleedin hurt when I pulled it out too... bled like a stuck pig so I did... barbless now (mostly anyway, where rules allow)

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Oh I use scissors/clippers now rather than biting tag ends of line off... barbless or microbarb (some of my carp waters insist on microbarbs over barbless)

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Yep, nail clippers every time for me for tag ends.
Round here, no matter where you go, it's barbless only.

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Way back when, once hooked the back of my arm, couldn't reach so had to cut my arm off to save time- pretty (h)armless I thought. Then after a few bevies another time caught the back of my thigh - had to cut again - I was legless that day. And finally learnt my lesson, caught the back of my ear and did not lose my head and cut the line. If I hadn't I would have had NO- BODY to go fishing with. Lesson learned. use barbless.:D

Last edited:

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Particularly if in a match I'm thinking. If you accidentally hook your sleeve or your keepnet or something like that and you can't unhook it. Do you get the scissors out and cut free or do you sacrifice your rig ?

Just sacrifice the hooklength.

rudd

Site Supporter
When sea fishing cut the hook with wire cutters.
A 1/0 to 7/0 varivas big mouth is hard to just pull out!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve hardly ever used barbed hooks for coarse fishing so haven’t really had the problem. Generally a bit harder to properly hook something with sea hooks but if you do you got a problem!

John Step

Site Supporter
The worst hooking I ever did was in my left forefinger. It was not a hook but one of those baiting needles with a little gate across the bend. I pushed through a bait and in it went and stayed in. I bit the bullet and pulled it out and uttered something like OH BOTHER!

davebike1

Site Supporter
I will not fish with Barbed after an incident when trout fishing
I as I was know to be a first aider removed a size10 barbed fly hook from a friends neck horrid job
So no barbed hooks for me I will not use a barbed hook, if a place I wished to fish was barbed only I go else where !

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I've hooked my fingers many times, (never learn), but the worse was when I was using a whip back in the eighties, (on a pairs match sat on the same peg), when I missed a bite I would just reflick the rig back out. This day however the god of 'I'm bored' wanted a laugh, so as I gave it the big heave the hook went right up my nose and sunk in below the barb! If you think that it hurts pulling a little hair out of your nose, try a barbed hook! My so called partner was rolling on the floor clutching his stomach, I could'nt see what I was doing for the tears, (his not mine)! Needless to say we did not win that day, we were beaten by a nose!

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
I had a size 8 treble in my palm years ago, not up to or past the barb so it came out easily still hurt though. I carried on fishing as one does and my mate had got painfull ribs for the rest of the day from laughing.

Dusty

Not a barbed hook but a mate once walked into my line as I had the hook in my hand and it sent the hook under my fingernail ?

Sportsman

Site Supporter
If this doesn't persuade you to use a barbless hook, then nothing will.
It is also a good idea to wear Polaroids' or similar, particularly when fly fishing.