hooking paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlewins

hello im going to be fishing with paste for the first time tomorrow do i hook it so the hook is showing or do i burry it?

Simon R

Site Supporter
All depends on how you mix your paste.

The softer you mix it the easier the hook can pull through it and the more hook you can bury inside it - you really want it so it's almost dripping off the hook as you're shipping out.

With a stiff paste you're probably better off hair-rigging it to be on the safe side.

Simon

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I fish a fairly stiff paste and bury the hook. I have no problems hitting bites. I am a firm believer that the fish closes its mouth when taking a bait so you are not only pulling th hook out of the paste but also against the resistance of the paste on the inside of the lips.

I use a piece of paste a bit bigger than a small marble.

oldtart

01/02/09 - 07/07/10
In Memoriam
Iuse hooks 18 to 10 for paste always eyed and lumps of paste as big as the top of your thumb or as small as a pea, big bits early on will put a bit of grub on the bottom but wont overfeed.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
I can only tell you how I do it, and anyone who knows me well will tell you i keep things as simple as possible.[:D]

For alot of my rigs, paste or otherwise, I use the Hook In The Loop to tie my hooks on, and so far its served me very well.

It seems to work especially well for me with paste, as the knot at the top of the loop gives the paste (which I tend to fish very soft) a little something extra to grip onto as it fall through the water.

Simply take some paste about the size of a 50p, flatten it out in the palm of your hand, place the line just above the knot over the centre of the paste, and fold it round the line, pull the hook up into the paste, so that the knot and hook are just covered by the paste, and give a little squeeze into a rough diamond shape and place into your toss pot.
Ship out, twist pole and as the paste starts to fall through the water, lift the pole so that the float is just out of the water. You will see the float "cock", just as the paste pulls the line tight, then lower the float into the water[;)]

The reason I keep the float out of the water etc is to make sure the paste is below the float as it hits bottom, just as you would when plumbing up, so you know the bait is in the right place.

Simples[:T]

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
And having been battered by Steve a few times, he does it very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.