Hooking fish not in the mouth

ev4dawin

Hey all, hope you are well, took a little break from the forums to spend time with family on holiday. Anyways whilst I was out on holiday I had the chance to fish a lake for a few hours. After landing a few fish I noticed that I wasn't hooking the fish directly in the mouth, rather near there throat which I was very scared about. I managed to unhook most of the fish with that issue but a few I had to cut the line because it was too far into the fish's mouth. I was striking fine (note this was with a float and a 6 inch hooklink with maggots). I eventually changed to a 4 inch hooklink with a 6 mil pellet and that sorted out the weird hooking issue. What does anyone think about the unusual hooking that happened? Was it my hooklink? Or was it me simply not striking well enough? Any thoughts greatly apprecaited.

mbuna_matt

Probably fishing to far over depth, the fish had more than enough time to swallow the hook / bait is my first thought. Alternative fish can get very competitive and gulp bait down very fast. Had you plumbed up?

scuttster

Site Supporter
Hey all, hope you are well, took a little break from the forums to spend time with family on holiday. Anyways whilst I was out on holiday I had the chance to fish a lake for a few hours. After landing a few fish I noticed that I wasn't hooking the fish directly in the mouth, rather near there throat which I was very scared about. I managed to unhook most of the fish with that issue but a few I had to cut the line because it was too far into the fish's mouth. I was striking fine (note this was with a float and a 6 inch hooklink with maggots). I eventually changed to a 4 inch hooklink with a 6 mil pellet and that sorted out the weird hooking issue. What does anyone think about the unusual hooking that happened? Was it my hooklink? Or was it me simply not striking well enough? Any thoughts greatly apprecaited.
As @mbuna_matt has said it is most likely you are fishing over depth for the water. This will mean that the fish may often stay at the spot and take down the bait before moving and causing an indication on your float.

ev4dawin

Thank you all for the replies. I had plumbed up, so I'm not sure what had happened. I will have a look at the Slamo disgorger. Appreciate the help (y)