Hookable Carp Pellet's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Lazarus
Hi All ,Is there any way of making soft hookable pellet's from a bag of hard carp pellet's a bag cost's 2.00 in the local tacle shop ,animal feed merchant's ther'd be enough for a season's fishing in 1 bag i begrudge paying 3.00 for a small tub holding a couple of 100 pellet's.
i'm not tight or mean but like value for money &don't think they are good value ,but if there's no way to do it i'll just have to grin & bear &pay it after spending'd 100's on the new tackle to catch fish,it would be penny wise pound foolish.After i go fishing to catch fish.

Cheer's Larry

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Larry,

Try the expander pellets.There are plenty on the market at the moment and probably one of the best are ringer pellets.All i do with them is soak them overnight in cold water and in the morning drain off,place in a bag and take to the bank.When you get them out of the bag press them against a riddle or something to squeeze out the remaining water.This will make them sink.If you do not do this last part they are ideal as a floating bait.

Golfs a game for people who can't catch fish

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Silly bait make a good hookable pellet, loads of different sizes & they are nice n moist as well.

Gray could probably help me out with this one but i think silly pellets were the first to be made hookable.

I prefer to use bait bands as this holds the pellet on the back of the hook a bit like a hair rig, the good thing about them is they come in different sizes , are cheap, easy to use, strong & you can reuse them.

Alan

shagga

Keith, when you say you soak them overnight do you literally mean all night? I only ask because the expander pellets I use and others I've spoken to are only soaked for between 50 mins to 90 mins, then squeeze the air out of them... any longer and the pellet go TOO soft.. I've not seen the Ringer expander pellets yet but wouldn't be surprised if they work well .... Have you used one of the new(ish) pumps for taking the air out of soaked pellets? Larry, a bag of expander pellets will last ages if just used as hookers... I've been returning my unused ones to the fridge and using them again... so far they seem to work OK but I've not used them often enough to be really sure about their longivity. Any advice from you expander pellet users gratefully received....

Polepot

Poles
I have been using pellet for a few weeks now and have found the Ringers pellet very good. - It catches fish even for me. I soak them for about 2 hours but don't fully immerse them as they do become very soft.

The pump for pulling the air out of the pellets work really well, and it means that the pellets are a little better to hook.

If you have not seen the pump it was covered in an article in Advanced Pole fishing in the May June issue.

I have not used one myself yet but it is on my shopping list as I have seen it used with Ringer Pellets and was really impressed. I'm told that they retail for around 15.00

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

MALC

Larry,
If you only want the exspanders for hook bait as opposed to feeding the simplest way is to put a small qty in a little tub and pour boiling water on them.

Personaly what i do if i just want some for hookers is as follows: take a 20ml measure of exspanders and put 15ml of boiling water over them in a quad bait box.
(I use quad box so that i can flavour 3 types and keep 1 plain).
Within 5 mins all the pellets will be perfect for hooking.

But the above is only for hookers.

Shagga,
If you seal the exspanders tight then they will last for weeks in the fridge but you must get all the air out of the bag or they go off, also some flavour's send them off quicker than other's.
But they can be frozen.

Pole's,
regards the Breast pump OOPPS i mean Pellet pump it's no more than a gimmick and for 15.99 it's a dear 1 as well (IMO).
If you want the exspanders for feed your 15.99 richer and a lot quicker to do it the way Keith suggest's (on a riddle).

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Shagga,

Yes I leave them in all night.I put them out about 6 in the evening and take the water off around 6/7 in the morning.Ringers expanders will take a lot of water and you need this to really soak in before use.Then squeeze any excess air out of the pellet against the riddle.Ton up and PA megabaits also do good expanders.

I have to agree with Malc the pump is a waste of money and if you prepare them as I have stated I cannot see a problem.I have used expanders for a number of years now and not had any problems with the three i have mentioned.Unfortunately cannot say the same about others,although they may work for some people.

Fridging them is ok as is freezing them.

Keith

Golfs a game for people who can't catch fish

churt

23/06/02 - 25/02/04
In Memoriam
Malc, you're wrong re the pump. It's probably the most useful piece of tackle I've bought for years!!

churt

wuffie

Cover pellets so that they are just under water in a square bait tub.When the water as been soaked up bag up and fridge. On the bankside put pellets back in tub and cover with water then place another tub inside the one holding the pellets and press together.This action squeezesout the air left in the pellets and replaces it with water thus making the pellets sink.So easy so cheap!

Larry

Lazarus
Thank you all for the info , iv'e been really busy not been online much,My Dads had a stroke a fortnight ago not been getting back from hospital til 9.00pm by the the time iv'e had a bite to eat it's been time for bed up at 5.am for work ,ive brought a bag of ringers pellets today on the way to the hospital will give your suggestions a try.

Cheer's Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.