hook tiers - help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob27

peg nine
hi all,
i have tried a matchman hook tier and couldn't use it, today bought a drennan hook tier and been all day trying and still having problems.
Eithier the finished knot slips down the hook when finished or when rotating the hook tier the trapped line gets pulled down towards the bottom of the hook shank. Also i find when rotating the tier that the reel line gets twisted with the tail end. It says to keep the tier pointed at the reel line but how do you do this when the reel line is slack - it feels like i need a third hand to keep the reel line tight. Helpppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry

Lazarus
Hi Rob
I solved the problem by tying all my hooks before i go fishing what you want is a small table to work on measure of 24 ins or what length you want use. you need a small heavy weight to place on hook length spool ,pull a length of line about 6ins or 150m/m off spool more than the hook length you require.I have line at about an angle of 30 degree's place weight on spool this holds it tight I hold hook tyer in my left hand .tie hook.IF YOU CAN IMAGINE IT LINE GOES FROM HOOK TYER IN LEFT HAND AT 30DEGREES UP & TO THE RIGHT . THIS WAY YOU CAN TIE HOOK QUITE NATURALLY WITHOUT STRAINING HAS YOUR LEFT&RIGHT FORM A NATURAL 90DEGREE ANGLE .

After i ve tied hook, i pull line tight by putting hook in end of table &give a steady this pulls line tight onto spade or hook eye . measure hook length cut off &put in a hook pkt.
Hope you can understand what ive written unforunatly i'm not as good has Ziptrev at explaining thing's I prefer to use eyed hooks with hooktyer, i dont use eye just tie hook as though it were a spade end ,has i'd found occasionally i'd be playing a fish when i would go slack when i reeled in &checked hook link no hook on the end .i surmised the spade had cut the line. Lost fewer hooks &fish with eyed hooks

Cheer's Larry

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Rob,
Practice makes perfect,keep practicing at home. Start off with larger hooks and heavier line than you would normally use,I've used the Drennan type or more years than i care to remember,and it seems like 2nd nature now.Don't keep the line too tight,make sure the knot is well lubricated before you attempt to tighten it up and if the knot seems to far down the shank of the hook just tease it up with your thumbnail.Above all you must have some tension on the line while tying the hook.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Polepot

Poles
Rob,

I agree with Peter, practice is the only way. There is no hidden secret. I have used both the matchman & Drennan and personally prefer the matchman. You will find that your third hand is not required when you practice.
When tying hook lengths I jam the spool in my box draw and that enables me to keep the tension, and when tying direct I simply tighten up the reel line, not that I do this very often as I normally fish the pole.

Keep trying thumbsup.gif

Poles

scouse

'River Man'
hi rob
if you send dave
a email at maggot drowning he could send you the pictures i sent him
how to do it they are very helpful,
i use a matchman myself, if you find it beyond you practise tying
by hand and also make sure the line comes off the front of the hook,
a little tip when you have tied the knot pull the hook and not the line or you will have kinks in fine line ie 6oz 12oz
hope this helps
dave (scouse)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Scouse,

I finally got around to putting a page up: www.maggotdrowning.com/hooktyers.htm

If there's anything to add please let me know

Cheers, Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.