Hook Sizes

robinta

Hi all.

I find it strange that there isn't a universally accepted set size for hooks.

Obviously gape, wire thickness and shank length can vary on the style of hook, but it still would seem possible to have a set metric as a standard.

Even if that isn't possible, the variance within the same RANGE by one manufacturer seems crazy.

I've been working from home for much of my return to fishing, and this has given my the 'opportunity' to make up a load of new pole rigs and tie hooklengths.

This meant I needed to buy some more hooks, and although Ive got a mixture of brands, I like the new commercial range from Maver.

I'd tied up some light wire MXC5s in a 16, before some medium gauge MXC1s in an 18 and noticed the 18 is bigger than the 16!

This is mental.. Surely?

richox12

Gape looks narrower on the right.

But.................what would anyone use as THE criteria ?? Gape, shank length ?? There is no std

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
this is one of my pet hates... a Drennan Specimen size 10 is smaller than a Korum speci size 14

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
There was a standard years ago, the Redditch scale. However, wider gapes and longer shanks always appeared to confuse the issue. As the standard was largely abandoned years ago, and hook production moved abroad, it's largely pot luck what you get. It certainly makes buying hooks unseen a bit of a gamble. If you can't cope with that gamble, the only choice you've got is to buy from a shop in person.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The sellers of hooks pick a manufacturer pick a pattern then apply there own numbers to the sizes available so its not going to change,
you need to ignore the number on the packet and look at the size of the hook to decide if its suitable for the job you want it for.

robinta

Gape looks narrower on the right.

But.................what would anyone use as THE criteria ?? Gape, shank length ?? There is no std
That's what I said! Surely if a manufacturer makes 2 patterns of hook, the 18 should be smaller than the 16 of the other pattern.. It doesn't sound that difficult?

robinta

The sellers of hooks pick a manufacturer pick a pattern then apply there own numbers to the sizes available so its not going to change,
you need to ignore the number on the packet and look at the size of the hook to decide if its suitable for the job you want it for.
Which is great unless you need to buy online and can't compare physically

John Step

Site Supporter
I like Kamasan. However even within the same brand name hooks come up in different sizes for the same numerical label. You just gotta look!

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Which is great unless you need to buy online and can't compare physically
If you are in the unfortunate position of not having a local shop that carries a variety of hooks your only option is trial and error really until you find the right size for your needs as a general rule the newer the hook the bigger they are likely to be but this is not always the case.
The hooks you have are Matrix new patterns not Maver.

robinta

If you are in the unfortunate position of not having a local shop that carries a variety of hooks your only option is trial and error really until you find the right size for your needs as a general rule the newer the hook the bigger they are likely to be but this is not always the case.
The hooks you have are Matrix new patterns not Maver.
I know! Why did I saw maver? Cheers

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Check out Sensas patterns 3065 or 3180BZ. I know sizes vary but these are taking the p*ss :mad:

All I can say is that the Wye must be like fishing in a trout farm if you can use a 16 or 14 3180BZ for roach !!!! :ROFLMAO:

TimFB

This is one of the reason I never buy new hook types by mail order and why I use the same hook brands, types and sizes year in year out.....not being able to go into a local tackle shop that stocks any kind of comprehensive range of coarse tackle doesn’t help.

richox12

That's what I said! Surely if a manufacturer makes 2 patterns of hook, the 18 should be smaller than the 16 of the other pattern.. It doesn't sound that difficult?
But smaller where ? Which part ? The 18 can be thicker, longer shank. much bigger, sweeping bend but still be classed as smaller if the gape is slightly narrower. But it will look physically bigger. It just depends what part you take your measurement from. So in your photo the 18 could, technically, be classed 'smaller' than the 16.

For my own use I just go by what I see and make my own mind up as to whether it's useful for me or not regardless of any number.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
Hi all.

I find it strange that there isn't a universally accepted set size for hooks.

Obviously gape, wire thickness and shank length can vary on the style of hook, but it still would seem possible to have a set metric as a standard.

Even if that isn't possible, the variance within the same RANGE by one manufacturer seems crazy.

I've been working from home for much of my return to fishing, and this has given my the 'opportunity' to make up a load of new pole rigs and tie hooklengths.

This meant I needed to buy some more hooks, and although Ive got a mixture of brands, I like the new commercial range from Maver.

I'd tied up some light wire MXC5s in a 16, before some medium gauge MXC1s in an 18 and noticed the 18 is bigger than the 16!

This is mental.. Surely?
Hi Robinta, I live in Germany and the nearest decent tackle shop is in Holland, (two hours drive away), so I usually order tackle from England, via the net (amongst them are hooks) and I have received many different hook sizes that are bigger/smaller, than what I thought that I was ordering :-( .
(I also order hooks and floats from Hungary). So I have now decided to stick to the hooks that I know, until I go back to England to visit family, then I will visit Benwick sports to löök at new kit, (including hooks).

Stay Safe!

Pat

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Check out Sensas patterns 3065 or 3180BZ. I know sizes vary but these are taking the p*ss :mad:

All I can say is that the Wye must be like fishing in a trout farm if you can use a 16 or 14 3180BZ for roach !!!! :ROFLMAO:
It can be .... on some days ... it's a hungry river when all those fish shoal up in Hereford town in the winter.