Hook size?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
3mm ? Wow ! Someone is struggling. Normally a 20 or 22 but, if they're having it, an 18. Mustad canal seed is the hooks I prefer. Most of the time we catch on 5mm to 7mm on our local canals. My Drennan punch set goes down to a 2.5mm but, if its that hard to get a bite Id be packed up and off home. ?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Use as big a hook as you can get plenty of bites on also remember that punch swells a fair bit in water a 22 is a good starting point if its hard going.

feldri

Site Supporter
Usually a 20 or 22 on my local cut. But then I use 5mm or 7mm punches. Up to an 18 if they're having it with 2 discs on instead of one.

sapperrich

3mm ? Wow ! Someone is struggling. Normally a 20 or 22 but, if they're having it, an 18. Mustad canal seed is the hooks I prefer. Most of the time we catch on 5mm to 7mm on our local canals. My Drennan punch set goes down to a 2.5mm but, if its that hard to get a bite Id be packed up and off home. ?
Your tell me, trying different stretch tomorrow. Determined to get some decent roach out of cut on bread punch, been a disaster last 2 weeks (small number who fish stretch all blanking) I've had 1 Roach, 1 skimmer in 3 sessions!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Your tell me, trying different stretch tomorrow. Determined to get some decent roach out of cut on bread punch, been a disaster last 2 weeks (small number who fish stretch all blanking) I've had 1 Roach, 1 skimmer in 3 sessions!
Is there any matches in this or any neighbouring stretches Sapperich ? If so this may show you where the fish are. Worth a look when the guys are weighing in perhaps ? It's hard going on our canals at the moment but, there are pockets of fish if you know where to look. Don't give up. Good luck pal. ?

sapperrich

Is there any matches in this or any neighbouring stretches Sapperich ? If so this may show you where the fish are. Worth a look when the guys are weighing in perhaps ? It's hard going on our canals at the moment but, there are pockets of fish if you know where to look. Don't give up. Good luck pal. ?
There aren't matches on 3 local stretches, and to be honest very rarely see people fishing in winter apart from the odd lure fisherman round Rowley Regis area. The best stretch last winter Titford has been ruined because of dredging further down (they didn't dam it properly so 2 miles of cut looks like oxtail soup!) Trying different stretch tomorrow that did well on bread last winter.

Rigmann

Site Supporter
You are missing out biggest fish often fall to smallest punch , try it

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
definitely worth trying different sizeof punch. Sometimes stamp roach will just give tiny indications with a larger punch size, but bury the float with a tiny piece.
I have the original Image set of 6. Haven’t used the very tiniest in over 25 years . Will measure when I get home.
For canal and drain punch fishing I start on a 20 or 22 serie 2 opaco. The old shape long shank Drennan fine match 20 was a great hook for punch.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
You are missing out biggest fish often fall to smallest punch , try it
I'm not doubting you Rigmann. Where we fish for roach at this time of year is generally solid with 2 to 7 ounce roach. It's not uncommon for matches to be won with 15lb + around this area. Our very own forum member Nicky Dodds does 8lb in a couple of hours for fun. I hear where you are coming from Rig but, to build a weight putting 3mm punch in the hook on would take time but, I will give it a go and let you know if it sorts any better stamp of fish out. Cheers fella. ?

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
OP is from rowley regis - so small punch advice is probably appropriate - it's narrow canals rather than larger navigations I suspect.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
definitely worth trying different sizeof punch. Sometimes stamp roach will just give tiny indications with a larger punch size, but bury the float with a tiny piece.
I have the original Image set of 6. Haven’t used the very tiniest in over 25 years . Will measure when I get home.
For canal and drain punch fishing I start on a 20 or 22 serie 2 opaco. The old shape long shank Drennan fine match 20 was a great hook for punch.
so the set goes from 2-7mm in diameter.
90% of my punch fishing is with 4mm for roach and 5mm for skimmers.
i Find that the 5mm looks MUCH more than 25% bigger than the 4mm when on the hook.