Hook Pulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

BristolSmithy

Why is it that every time I give a carp a bit of welly I get a hook pull???

Is the answer to play them more gently? Or is there something else I should be looking at? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm tearing my hair out over this one..

Medwaygreen

What rig and hooks are you using?How long is the hair on the rig etc?
Once we know that we may be able to give some advice.

Last edited:

BristolSmithy

Both on pellet waggler and pole.
Booth rigs used same hooklenght, a middy pre-tied hair rig. Size 14, 7lb line and the hair was about an inch and a quarter.
Rig wise, pole was grey hydro and red hydro (swapped after spending 15 minutes playing a fish on the grey hydro before the hook pulled) fox MP3 float with an olivette and two droppers. Waggler was just a 2 swan stumpy waggler with no weight down the line...

nigel clark

try making your own hair rigs with a shorter hair. I use PR36 in 18 and 16 and had no prob. Laccy was fox 10+ for shallow. 16 for margins. Other problem possibly you were foulling them.

nick_gilbert

NG Floats, Elastic
Site Supporter
There are several reasons they are comming off

one could be they are foul hookers but you can normaly tell that by the way they take off.

the other could be the balance of your hooks size and elastic is wrong or your rod is too powerfull.

or you could be bullying them too much?

Medwaygreen

I would try the shorter hair maybe half an inch. Fifteen minutes playing a Carp is a long time this may have had an effect. The other thing is, is the water a commercial if so it may be that they are caught and abused so much their mouths are just shot away.

BristolSmithy

It was a commercial, don't think they were foul hooked though, didn't seem to be going enough.

Think I'll try making my own hairs a bit shorter than the ones i'm buying, sounds like it could work. Think I might have been bullying them a bit too much as well, although had a pretty forgiving rod (ABU Espirit Match)...

Thanks for the advice gents..

Fill

Had the same problem nearly every fish i hooked, pulled, the simple answer that day was too open the hook gap slightly.Try it next time it worked for me .That is always my 1st change of tactics.

cess monkey

Use a bigger hook. When fishing up in the water the fish dont have time to inspect a bait, they are on the move and hitting anything falling in front of them.
When using hair rigged baits the hook size can also be bigger, take a look at the hooks the carp lads use, they`re massive.
If you up your hook size and keep getting bites, up it again and keep doing this untill you are either not losing fish or not getting bites.
You will soon find a balance that suits your style of fishing.

pegasus

benny
go gentle with em mate if they want to run let em.
drop your pole onto the water if they run and let the laccy do its job, follow the fish with your pole sooner or later the fish will weaken and give in.
set the cluth on your reel mate and if the fish wants to run just let it, unless it`s heading for a snag then apply side strain and knock it off ballance.
try a diffrent patern hook B911 or gammas work well for me.
a shorter hair might work cos the hook will be taken further into the mouth.
you might be striking or lifting into the fish too early let the bite develop before you make contact.
move shot further away from the hook makes your rig less sensetive and gives the fish longer to swallow the bait before it registers, hope some of theese work for you as they work for me, good luck mate

sheepy

Personally i wouldn`t widen the gape of the hook as your just weakening it,if you want a wider gape why not just change the hook pattern??

;o)

Status
Not open for further replies.