Hook Pulls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricksafc

Hi all,

I lost a considerable amount of fish yesterday, probably nearly 50%. I'm never confident when fishing for Carp because I generaly lose a lot when they make the first run (is this a hook pull?).

I don't know if it's common to lose such amount but, I'm not sure where I going wrong.

When I hook a Carp and it runs, I don't ship back and just hold it. The elastic starts to work then I get that awful feeling as it retracts. I'm using Black Hydro with size 14 Tubertini 808.

Thanks

no its not normal to loose 50% of what your hooking have you tried scaling down your elastic a little bit i have always found latex to be best elastic for me number 14

drynet

formerly drynet
don't think there's nothing wrong with the elastic mate unless you were hooking monsters or its set to tight.you say you don't ship back is your pole out full length.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Nightowluk

sounds like foul hookers to me?
It does to me as well
Were you hooking them on the bottom or in mid-water?

Simon

Ricksafc

Drynet,

I don't ship back if the fish starts running straight away, I'll just hold the pole and let the fish run. However, if the fish sits after I've struck then I'll start shipping back slowly and stop shipping if it starts to run. My pole wasn't at full length, should I be adding sections if a fish takes off?

I don't have my elastic set tight and did manage to land a few Tench (1lb / 2lb mark) but it just seems to be Carp that I have problems with.

Nightowluk

are you feeding heavily? might be foul hooking because there's too many fish in your swim?

Ricksafc

Nightowluk,

one swim I started with half a cup of 4mm pellets and the other swim a cup of meat with hemp. I top the swims up when the bites stop coming.

Bill G

Grandad
i lost eight in a match not long ago i posted it on here and was castigated for being a total novice and had no idea about how to fish the pole[i came third in the match] so beware of comments from tag and mibut
the only thing i can think is maybe striking might be something to dowith it be it you set the hook hard or you just lift gently into them, i really wish i knew ,be happy in one respect though , at least you are getting fish in the swim so you must be doing something right
regards BILL

drynet

formerly drynet
yes mate always add sections if the fish takes off,did you change your hook if not it could have been blunt which could result in the hook not getting a good hold.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Difficult to answer without seeing your complete set up. It does not sound too bad
so foul hooking seems the obvious answer.

I am not a great fan of 808's (i know a lot are, just my opinion) as I had similar
problems. I now use PR 24's for avg commercial carp. Do you lose the fish once the
initial run has finished ? If so it maybe that your elastic is set too soft and has lost pressure before fully retracting into the pole, as such the hook falls out.

Allowing that first run and then shipping back slowly is ideal, the fish will simply follow the pole if you do not apply too much pressure. You must add sections if a fish tears off though. generally I would argue that it is unlikely (although possible) that
you would lose too many fish hooked properly in the mouth on balanced tackle.

Ricksafc

Anglingman,

Once the run has stopped and fish turns then it's fine, it's just the initial run when I loose the fish. It happens too often to me when fishing for Carp and after yesterday I also thought about changing my hook pattern. Did you notice a difference after you changed from the 808's?

Bill,

you mentioned that you had similar problems, did you change anything in your technique or tackle?

Bill G

Grandad
i changed hook three times each time to a different pattern but same size [was fishing paste], i lost fish on all patterns but i think i fouled most of them i am pretty confident in my ability to play carp on the pole and like you when the initial run has finnished just a gentle feed back of the pole usually suffices to subdue the fish i cant fault your tactics playing wise. the problem as i saw it on my match was just bad luck on the day as it is not something i usually suffer with
BILL

Thom

Originally posted by drynet

yes mate always add sections if the fish takes off.

i do the total opposite and never add sections as IMO this just gives the fish an edge by giving it more slack.

i would not add sections and simply keep constant pressure on the fish and submerge the pole tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.