Hook pulls on the method

satinet

I don't think it's down to the rod being too stiff if they are coming off right away or in effect never getting on in the first place. I'd probably fish with something lighter though.

rudd

Site Supporter
I was fishing today on a venue i am not familiar with. I was fishing an inline method feed to the reeds (preston method feeder 4” hook link banded wafter). The rod tip would go round i pick the rod up pull into the fish. It’s there and then its gone. I’ve never had this problem before, any ideas please
Are there Chub in the water in question?
Stillwater Chub are good at picking up a boilie just holding it in their lips leaving hook on the outside.
They run then spit bait once resistance is felt.

TimFB

Nothing wrong with the set up. Most fish on the method should pretty much hook themselves and you just need to lift into them. As someone else said don’t strike. What size is your wafter? Maybe try a smaller bait, bottom bait or slightly larger hook? The other thing...probably more controversial...is that as well as coming out easier, barbless hooks go in a lot easier. Sometimes you bounce fish off on a barbed hook and swap to a barbless and the problem goes away...

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
If it was me I would 1st assume liners , I would remove the wafter and put a heavy pellet on ( since you are hooking then the fish are close )
I would then try a different size hook / pellet ( usually I try to match the gape to the pellet )
If the above failed I would try a straight lead.

grey

Site Supporter
I don't think it's necessarily the rod - unless you're striking into them or bullying them hard when they're on.

Might be the feeder catching on something like thick weed stems, ledge or some other underwater obstruction. When it pings out from the obstruction, it would certainly bump the fish off. I remember once losing majority of my catch in a similar manner before discovering I was fishing just over a hard ledge.

Try lifting the rod high next time to see if it makes a difference.