Hook pulls on the method

Ti m-B

I was fishing today on a venue i am not familiar with. I was fishing an inline method feed to the reeds (preston method feeder 4” hook link banded wafter). The rod tip would go round i pick the rod up pull into the fish. It’s there and then its gone. I’ve never had this problem before, any ideas please

Ti m-B

Hi
It is a 12ft feeder rod with a 1.75lb tc and a 30 gram feeder. The fish generally average 7lb although i did land a 2lb and an 8lb carp

Silver fan 82

The rod is a 12ft feeder 1.75lb tc 30gram feeder the carp average about 7lb
Could be that the rod you are using is a bit too heavy?
Have you got a feeder rod with a quiver tip you could try? My guess is that you are getting bites but your bumping the fish off on the strike because the tip of your rod is a bit too stiff.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
As mentioned sounds like the rod is a bit heavy.

For that stamp of fish i'd be using a commercial feeder rod with 30-60g casting weight.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
You may not have hooked the fish

Northantslad

'Any indications?
As said rod is too heavy test curve. Hooks are probably good, but likely to be the rod.
Take a look at some commercial feeder rods would be my advice.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I agree 1.75 sounds like a heavy carp rod to me but I have never known the TC of any rod I have owned. But if I hazarded a guess I would say my feeder rods are under a pound. And unless you are casting a long distance the feeder seems overgunned too.

Ti m-B

Hi
Thanks for your replies. I see where you’re coming from that the rod is too heavy and I would agree if the fish were too small to put a bend in the rod but when I pulled into the fish it bent right round ...and then it was gone. I’ve been using this rod for about 10 years for all but very short range method fishing and never had a problem like this before. I landed a carp of about 2lb on the day no problem but the fish I lost were definitely bigger.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
sometimes the in line feeder will bounce,

as its not a fixed feeder it will run up and down on the line, creating a mini shock wave of sorts that loosens the hook

this is the reason why elasticated and the guru safe style feeders were invented

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
That’s a strong rod is that. If and when you can afford it invest in a smaller lighter rod for your method fishing. 10’ long seems to be the optimum length. A short rod helps when landing your fish also. I use a Preston 10’ mini carp but, you can’t get them new now. A perfect little rod for method fishing.

One thing to think about is that as the temperature falls the fish may not be ‘ hanging themselves on ‘ like they were in the hotter months. It maybe that you have to sit on your hands and let them hook themselves. Just a thought. Good luck.

Marker50

Site Supporter
Nice rods them mini carps mick love mine.
Think i prefer to my normal supera.
Supera light is a nice rod though

satinet

I've had this happen before. I was getting small fish like bream and small tench. Maybe they didn't get the bait in properly.
I think you can also have too much distance between the pellet/bait and the hook.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Are you sure you were feeling fish and not a snag that you may have been pulling through. Although I do think it could be liners. To be honest, your rod and rig should land most of the fish that size. Maybe a bit heavy but I’d expect a lot of those fish to stick for a while before coming off. Also look at presentation as satinet suggests above.

satinet

I've been tying my own rigs recently with QM1 hooks. The only issue with them is that it's quite hard to get the line doubled back through the eye due to the size of the hole I find.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Not experienced bump offs with a pretty much identical rig but I am using a medium feeder rod with a 1oz quiver tip which is soft enough to curve nicely on 6-8lb fish that are my normal catch but has a gorgeous through action to cope with the rarer doubles.

As has been said I think your rod may be a little too heavy.