Hook lengths.

jimbo1946

Was about to start tying up a batch of hooklengths for the colder weather.Reaching into my box for the 0' 10 or 0'11 as usual l noticed a spool of flouracarbon in 0'14.Stated bs is just shy of 4lb.Got to thinking.If this stuff really is invisible in water,why not use it instead of the lighter stuff.I accept it would be a bit stiffer,but would that really matter over 4?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I'm not particularly convinced about it being totally invisible. If it's just slightly less visible than standard mono, that's good enough for me. Even if it's not invisible it isn't stopping me from using it for all my floatfishing hooklengths. I use it from 1.3lb all the way up to 8lb. I'll not be changing from the Drennan Supplex Fluorocarbon any time soon because I have total faith in it and have been using it since it was first introduced.

jimbo1946

I'm not particularly convinced about it being totally invisible. If it's just slightly less visible than standard mono, that's good enough for me. Even if it's not invisible it isn't stopping me from using it for all my floatfishing hooklengths. I use it from 1.3lb all the way up to 8lb. I'll not be changing from the Drennan Supplex Fluorocarbon any time soon because I have total faith in it and have been using it since it was first introduced.
Was really thinking that the reduced visibility would compensate for the higher diameter.Bit of insurance in case a lump turns up.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
If you are looking for a subtle approach on a clear canal unless you use 0.10 or less the stiffness can be an issue but it would be fine on a commercial and like Sam I have used it for feeder hooklengths for years as it does not tangle like nylon can and although I have several makes I tend to use mostly the Drennan flourocarbon now badged as Supplex.
I dont think the fish see fine lines especially clear ones but they do notice the difference in the behavior of a bait with a big lump of iron in it tied to rope :D

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I think I posted this before, but it seems it is quite invisible, when they touch it, they spook.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Fish must bump into things continuously, weed, twigs etc. I feel that if they can see them,they don't worry, but if they are invisible to the fish it is more likely to spook them.