Hook length storage and stretch.

• Thread starter Deleted member 26638
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 26638

Hi folks. New to coarse fishing and I'm tying my own hook lengths (using a Matchman hook tyer and loop tool) to store in a Preston box that takes 12" and 15" lengths... received in the post yesterday.

My first three or four efforts to fit the Preston retainers have been consistently 5mm short of 12" (sorry to mix metric and proper measurements). Is it okay to make them this short and stretch them to fit over the retainers, or should I try to avoid stretching the hook length, other than to avoid looseness and dropping off the retainers?

It would be easy enough to make a small allowance when I form the loop, but I was just wondering if stretching (and storing) 2.5lb and 4lb Supplex by 5mm over 12" is an issue... does it weaken the line for instance?

Thanks.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
if you tie the hook then put the hook on the peg and run the line up and over the top peg, pinch the line there so it doesnt move and then using the loop tier you should get close to zero change in all the hook lengths, i personally wouldnt want to stretch hooklinks, especially 5mm as that is a decent gap.

does take a little practice so good luck but just keep going and you will soon have them all the same length

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Best to avoid stretching as this will put a lot of pressure on the pegs in the box and could break them.

I use a board with pins with the head removed. I find the blob headed ones are longer than normal pins. It took me a few adjustments to get the distance just right.

IMG_20140626_112404.jpg

Explained fully in my blog here

D

Deleted member 26638

if you tie the hook then put the hook on the peg and run the line up and over the top peg, pinch the line there so it doesnt move and then using the loop tier you should get close to zero change in all the hook lengths

That's exactly what I've been doing (having watch a guy on You Tube)... I guess I'm somehow losing a few millimetres as I pull the line off the loop tyer.

But anyway, thanks guys for advising against too much stretch. I'll go away and practice.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
thats the one thing, have to make sure the line doesnt move as you take it off, its ok as takes a bit of practice but you will get there, make sure you do not move the line as you form the loop for the loop tier and i always make sure i pull the loop tier to tighten the loop not the hook side (hand) as im sure that changes the length as well, good luck

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
That's exactly what I've been doing (having watch a guy on You Tube)... I guess I'm somehow losing a few millimetres as I pull the line off the loop tyer.

But anyway, thanks guys for advising against too much stretch. I'll go away and practice.

It is surprising how much line is used in tying a knot.

satinet

It does need to be slightly short or there is no tension to hold it on. Some lines e.g guru nguage are also very slippery (not that it isn't a good line). I never found a bit of stretch to be problem and found my own much more reliable than pre tied hook links.

Getting the length right does take some practice. A slight slip and it's not right. Make you hold both the tag and and the main line as you tighten off with the loop maker. Assuming you're using one. It's a small plastic disc with a couple of small sticks on it.

D

Deleted member 26638

^^^ I'm using one of those all-plastic loop tyers that looks like a lower case letter 'e'. Been practicing on and off over the last few hours and I'm now doing them, like you say satinet, with just enough tension to hold them on to the storage pegs. Never pre-tied my own hook lengths before - it's a small thing, but very satisfying.

Thanks for all your help - good to know the correct way of dong things.