Hook Length / Hooks to Nylon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

First post after lurking for a while. Great forum, really helpful.

I have just got back into fishing after flirting with it as a kid. Mainly fish pole as it is fairly easy for me (Had a pretty bad injury in 2005 that has left me disabled, fairly severe on my right hand). I am going to look to get on the feeder rod though this year but a little in-experienced with it.

My question is when feeder fishing/ledger fishing are hooks to nylon suitable as your hook length when creating your rig?

supersuperleeds

Yes they are suitable, though depending on the method you are fishing you may need to shorten them as you don't really want anything on the hook length apart from the hook and bait.

cess monkey

They`ll do the job no problem, there is a huge selection of hooks to different bs line available now and the quality is pretty good across the ranges.

nobby478

miserable old ....
There is an amazing variety of hooks to nylon now, including strong small carp hooks like 16s and even 18s on stronger line. My only concern with them is that if you so much as touch the knot on the hook with your forceps the line will snap on the next decent fish.

Propably.

If you can use a disgorger OK you should be fine. If you think you've touched the knot with metal just slip another on.

Most of us like to do hooklength to mainline with a loop to loop connection and if shortening a hook to nylon use a proper figure of eight loop knot. It's a bit big and ugly but it far far stronger than an overhand loop knot...they're only goood for hairs really.

Indeed using a hook to nylon will give you all the advantages of using light spade end hooks without having to tie them your self.

Status
Not open for further replies.