Hook Length Boxes

Grimberian

Hi Folks,
I have been trying to sort my gear out while on lockdown (Surprise surprise) and my hooklengths are doing my head in.
I use pre-tied stuff currently, some with bands, some with quick stops, etc and having all the little packets in my tackle box is properly annoying me.
cany anyone recommend a rig box that I can use to store all my hooklengths (or at least a few of each) and add labels etc.
Not sure if foam and pins or hard plastic is the way to go.
I would like to start tying my own at some point, but that minefield of what material to use is to come.
Cheers,
Paul

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I had Preston ones in the past, but much prefer the Guru Rig Case I have a large up to 12 inches & small up to 6 inch cases.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Another for the guru, size to amount it stores is good and the variation of lengths you can store in them is good. Decent seal around them too. However, its not always the box, the next thing you may find frustration with is tieing them to fit well.

Little tip, and on any you decide on, once the hook is tied, fix it to one of the posts where it is to be stored, then loop the end you are tieing the loop in around the desired post, hold the loop tight as you remove it, before tieing the loop. Otherwise you will have done alot of research for the box,, alot of tieing, then alot of frustration when they don't fit well.

Paul.P

Had the guru boxes for several years now & never had a problem, & they are waterproof as long as you keep the seal clean, & I see in last months pole fishing mag that daiwa have got the exact same box apart from the name, that must be something to do with guru & daiwa getting together on some tackle now. The matrix boxes are decent as well, bit bigger than the guru ones & hold more hooks.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
After looking at a few I too went with Guru. Proper hinges and strong magnets keeping the box shut. No regrets at parting with money for them.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I have both sizes of Matrix, they are very well made and good capacity. Magnet closure, they float and waterproof. There is a space for a label (they supply).

DavC1h

Site Supporter
Guru or Matrix for me. Have and use both, covers everything for me.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I like the Matrix HLR-S boxes preferring them over the Guru ones which I've also had

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I like the look of the Matrix ones. I might get some when I’ve bought my rig tier.

Sebbie

Site Supporter
I use the MAP long hooklength box and like the fact that's double sided with UV resistant plastic so that you can see through it without your hooklengths degrading in the sun.
Also, it has a sliding measuring scale and so if you tie your own you can ensure that you tie them to a consistent length each time and that they fit snugly onto the retainers.

bricky72

Site Supporter
preston for me for 4/6/12 inch as don’t need to shave pegs for 22/20 hooks
had guru and found pegs to big for small hooks so had to shave with Stanley knife which weaken them

and for 1m feeder use the matrix Eva spool rig box 24 spools so loads of options for hooks

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have the Guru one which I find to be very good, pegs are well spaced hinges are good quality and when closed the seal keeps the water out... If you don't like orange you can always go for the Daiwa one which is exactly the same (bit of a surprise there....not)

Nicky Dodds

Another vote for the matrix ones currently one large and one small. Frustratingly it's a struggle to get a 22 or smaller on the pegs.
Sold the large map ones on as I thought they were too big and heavy. Kept the small one as I like the overall design even though due to the limited pegs I can only use it for one type of hook. Neat storage for loose hooks in the bottom layer. I covered my clear lid in white sticky back plastic as I didn't trust it.
As a basic hooklength box there's nothing wrong with the original plastic Preston ones. I still have loads and sometimes throw a couple in the carryall 'just in case ' People used to slate the Preston ones usually after they'd moved on to the one that matches their luggage. I find the cure for keeping water ingress to a minimum is to keep the boxes in a drawer or pocket in the carryall.

bricky72

Site Supporter
Not had any issues yet with Preston boxes but like fact that small 22s fit easily on pegs also they fit under lid on rive stacker box so I know I’ve got my hooks and spare rigs depending if on canal/ river/ or commie for silvers
the matrix Eva spool ones only just brought them for feeder length hooks but look well made and well thought out with 24 spools loads of options for different patterns and line

Whisker

Site Supporter
Another for the Guru.
I must like them because I've got 5 hook boxes, 3 small + 2 large... may have overdone it on the lockdown hook tying...:)

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Got two Guru ones, a biggun & a littlun.
Daft thing is, I always buy those Preston maglok hooklengths.

piscatorial

preston for me for 4/6/12 inch as don’t need to shave pegs for 22/20 hooks
had guru and found pegs to big for small hooks so had to shave with Stanley knife which weaken them

and for 1m feeder use the matrix Eva spool rig box 24 spools so loads of options for hooks
Hi everyone, first post for me.
If you didn't already know Guru are bringing out some new Hook Length Boxes with re-designed pegs to accommodate hooks down to a size 24.
The 6" boxes will also store hooks lengths of 2", 3", 4", 5" and 6".
As of yet I haven't found anyone who sells them.

Stay safe

bricky72

Site Supporter
Hi everyone, first post for me.
If you didn't already know Guru are bringing out some new Hook Length Boxes with re-designed pegs to accommodate hooks down to a size 24.
The 6" boxes will also store hooks lengths of 2", 3", 4", 5" and 6".
As of yet I haven't found anyone who sells them.

Stay safe
Quiet happy with Preston I’ve got few guru in garage gathering dust