Hook Knot Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLOMP

I fish a club where on some of the pools there is a size 14 max hook size rule, there are doubles in these pools. I have great sucess with FOX carp match, BUT, I like to use the POLYMAR knot, but my .22 6lb line will not go through the size 14 eye twice, SO is there a size 14 hook with a big eye that you know of. or a better knot than the tucked half blood knot, I Have tried hightech light guage 6lb line but found it rubbish. thanks ANT.

getfishing

Pete
Try the knotless knot because the line is under tension youshould still get the line through. Wait, that won't work if this is your mainline, you need a hooklength.

griff06

Site Supporter
Clomp try the uni knot,its in Roy Marlows knot clinic,sorry ive not got the link,i use it for all my eyed hooks and swivels,and its simpleto tie.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I use Preston reflo 0.17, 6lb 12oz for hooklength and can get that through the eye of a Fox Series 2 Carp Match size 14 three times - just. So using that line and the ordinary knotless knot (line goes through the eye twice) will work.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Korum used to make (probably still do, but not bought any for a while) eyed hooks with a seamless eye. They have a larger eye than most hooks I have used.

Failing that, have you tried the other Fox Carp Series 2's in the green packet, the extra strong ones??

They are a heavier gauge, and have a slightly larger eye than the standard ones.

CLOMP

Originally posted by griff06

Clomp try the uni knot,its in Roy Marlows knot clinic,sorry ive not got the link,i use it for all my eyed hooks and swivels,and its simpleto tie.

YES, Thanks, I will give the uni knot a go

CLOMP

Originally posted by Neil ofthe nene

I use Preston reflo 0.17, 6lb 12oz for hooklength and can get that through the eye of a Fox Series 2 Carp Match size 14 three times - just. So using that line and the ordinary knotless knot (line goes through the eye twice) will work.
thanks for the info.

CLOMP

Originally posted by badpegpicker

Korum used to make (probably still do, but not bought any for a while) eyed hooks with a seamless eye. They have a larger eye than most hooks I have used.

Failing that, have you tried the other Fox Carp Series 2's in the green packet, the extra strong ones??

They are a heavier gauge, and have a slightly larger eye than the standard ones.
I will have a look for them,thanks.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Originally posted by badpegpicker

Where do we get them round here?

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Neil,

I get them from Chiltern baits over in Desborough, but anywhere that stocks the standard ones usually have them[:T]

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Are you using your teeth to cut the line or scissors? Usin teeth can flatten the line making it difficult to thread through an eye. If you use scissors cut the line at an angle about 45 degrees.

CLOMP

Originally posted by Godber

Are you using your teeth to cut the line or scissors? Usin teeth can flatten the line making it difficult to thread through an eye. If you use scissors cut the line at an angle about 45 degrees.

yes you make a good point, I use scissors or a line cutter, and have tried cutting the line at an angle, I have been sucessfull once or twice,, say one in ten times,, anyway What teeth?[:D]

Larry

Lazarus
Try Esp Raptors theyre carp hook's & may have a larger eye.I use my matchman hook tyer to tie my hooks with.Don't need the eye then .

davyr

Originally posted by Larry

Try Esp Raptors

Not available in a size 14, afaik.

Some pools with this rule specify a particular make of size 14 hook as they obviously know that different makes vary enormously for the same nominal sizing.

If the water in question is the Willows at Penkridge, I don't think they do specify, so a hunt through a few different makes in the tackle shop might cure the problem.

CLOMP

Originally posted by Larry

Try Esp Raptors theyre carp hook's & may have a larger eye.I use my matchman hook tyer to tie my hooks with.Don't need the eye then .
right then YOU have hit the nail on the head, I use a hook tyer, 8lb line to a size 10 hook no problems, but these fox hooks seem to have a small eye so .20 line is pulling off the eye when I Have a big carp on, so have been trying different knots, I have only had this problem since I joined my new club, although the fox is a BIG size 14 it has a small eye they whip on fine up to .17 line, you have got me thinking with you quote, "Don't need the eye then"

smiffy 19

use your normal eyed hook and tie it like a spade end it works just the same.

Milo

23/04/04 - 28/01/20
In Memoriam
Learn how to tie spades and use tubertini 175's

CLOMP

Originally posted by Milo

Learn how to tie spades and use tubertini 175's

I have not tried these hooks, will have a look, the problem I have is size 14 hooks max size, but carp in the pool to mid doubles so am using 6lb line

Status
Not open for further replies.