Hook choice

JLK

My sensible answer is not really. Only had an issue removing a kaisen hook a few times and on these occasions used a disgorger. I can't think of any other sensible answer to give. Is there one? 🤷🏻‍♂️

johnjo123

ok. the raeson is, i have used lwg , f1 pellet and f1 mag hooks from guru, come out with and without a disgorger but i struggle with the kaizen. i think it is because they are twisted at the end . i use guru disgorgers . may be i just keep twisting it the wrong way. thats why i asked if anyone else had struggled. i will persivere a bit longer as i love the fact that they have a great hook hold but if i feel i can crack it then for the fishes sake, i will stop. the qm1 has the same twist. i have not tried them yet

Philnun87

Hi John

You shouldn’t really have to twist a disgorger, possibly try a different disgorger to see if a wider bore etc helps?

I use the QM1s (not the kaizens unfortunately) and they do really get a good hook hold. Never had an issue getting them out though.

I’m with you if it’s proving a difficult might be worth switching hooks for the fish’s sake. The x-strongs are good for margin work

johnjo123

hi. thanks for that. i was talking to a bloke last night and he said the x-strong guru hooks were brilliant. i use the 2 guru disgorgers. according to you tube videos you are supposed to gently push and twist . i am not sure, but i am thinking , if i twist the wrong way the hook will have more resistance coming out. i am fishing again next tuesday so i will experiment . thank you

Philnun87

Ok fair enough,

Usually a gentle push will pop a hook out. It might also depend on what you are fishing for, fish like carassios and F1s have really boney mouths and hooks are really easy to get out. Fish like perch will often take a bait right down which makes it a tougher job.

They are great hooks, a slightly thinker wire but capable of handling big fish.

Good luck with it!

rudd

Site Supporter
why didnt i think of that . sensible answers please.
It’s the only sensible answer but I would add, use a bigger one than you think you need
Other than that small forceps but you risk damage to hook, knot or line.

JLK

hi. thanks for that. i was talking to a bloke last night and he said the x-strong guru hooks were brilliant. i use the 2 guru disgorgers. according to you tube videos you are supposed to gently push and twist . i am not sure, but i am thinking , if i twist the wrong way the hook will have more resistance coming out. i am fishing again next tuesday so i will experiment . thank you
Buy the floating Preston innovations disgorger. Double ended disgorger and a knot picker built in if you unscrew the two halves.
Your problem isn't the hook but more the guru disgorger you are using. The oval slamo type is only good for the curved qm1 style in my opinion.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm just getting used to using Kaizens myself. First pack I bought was a size 14 (I think maybe it was 12) and I thought they were very thick wire. I remember I used them for bunches of maggots and worms and felt like I was practically skewering them on the hook, as well as being big for their size. But... then I bought a pack of size 16 and they seemed more reasonable and so these will be my method feeder hook over winter I reckon. Although I am a bit boring with hooks and generally fish Kamasans, B911, B611 etc Guru hooks are extravagant to me, but razor sharp.

johnjo123

Buy the floating Preston innovations disgorger. Double ended disgorger and a knot picker built in if you unscrew the two halves.
Your problem isn't the hook but more the guru disgorger you are using. The oval slamo type is only good for the curved qm1 style in my opinion.
i have got one of them but have never tried it. thank you for that. for some reason i always reach for my guru ones.

johnjo123

I'm just getting used to using Kaizens myself. First pack I bought was a size 14 (I think maybe it was 12) and I thought they were very thick wire. I remember I used them for bunches of maggots and worms and felt like I was practically skewering them on the hook, as well as being big for their size. But... then I bought a pack of size 16 and they seemed more reasonable and so these will be my method feeder hook over winter I reckon. Although I am a bit boring with hooks and generally fish Kamasans, B911, B611 etc Guru hooks are extravagant to me, but razor sharp.
i use them cos they are stronger than the f1 pellet, f1 maggot and lwg but not as thick as the mwg.

Philnun87

I was going to say aren’t the guru ones a slam I type. I would definitely use a normal disgorger as you say - they are much easier to use

johnjo123

hi. i used my preston disgorger on saturday with the kaizen hooks and i had no problem at all. thank you again

Beck Hill

I recently found hooks by Owners and was impressed by their range, in particular their 50340 type. My usual hook for general river fishing is the Kamasan B520 which in an 18 can be hidden inside a maggot without bursting it, the 50340 does the same and performs just as well. They may seem more expensive than others but in 14 and 16 there are 17 hooks in the pack and there's even a diagram on the pack showing how to tie the correct knot.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Slamo disgorger for all sizes of hooks , I have 5 different sizes for hooks from 24 to 2's . Just check that when the hook is held in the slot in the disgorger that the point is hidden, if it still shows you need a bigger size, if it doesn't go into the bend then you need a smaller one.