Hook choice

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Had a bit of an epiphany this morning with my matchman hook tyer. Turns out I am capable of tying my own hooklengths after all.

So my question is, what hook patterns would you suggest for the following, the choice is huge and far wider than the limited pre-tied options I’ve been using thus far.

Winter commie carp to 6lb
Winter commie silvers
Winter natural Stillwater silvers

Fishing mainly maggot, worm, corn and bread over the winter.

I’ll stick with the pre-tied stocks I’ve got for the remainder of autumn, so looking to prepare a stock of winter rigs on 0.10 to 0.13mm diameter. I’m guessing hook sizes 18-20 would be a good start?

Thanks in advance 👍

Stewie

FadingLikeDecay

After reading some positive recommendation on here, I recently picked up a couple of packs of Guru Kaizen spade hooks in sizes 16 & 18 for silvers and will be tieing my own hooklengths in the near future.
Perhaps they're worth considering for yourself?

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Should have been clearer, I’m referring to pole rigs, not rod and reel, should that make any difference👍👍

jononcb

Have a look at the Preston S-FLB hooks for Winter Carp and silvers work.
Not too heavy wire plus never been straightened out by Carp either, razor sharp hooks as well 👍

Total

Site Supporter
Have a look at the Preston S-FLB hooks for Winter Carp and silvers work.
Not too heavy wire plus never been straightened out by Carp either, razor sharp hooks as well 👍
It is a good hook, just a shame it only goes to a size 14 max':(

Total

Site Supporter
Didn't know that actually although I only actually buy them in 18's and 20's!! 🤣
Had 125lb of Ide on them before in Summer match on the same size 18 hook, so they definitely stay sharp!!
^^ Cracking weight of Ide....;)(y)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
My Winter hooklengths for carp and silvers (on a commercial) is simply 18 B611 to 0.10 and 16 B611 to 0.13.

On the canal I use a 24 Fox MP1 (no longer made) to 0.06 for pinkie & maggot. 18 Sensas 3530 to 0.06 for punch. The 3530 has a long shank that makes hooking the punch easier. But then the average fish I catch in the canal are around the ounce mark.

For bigger silvers I would probably just use my 18/0.10 commercial hooklengths.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Commercial carp , Guru Lwg ,spade for direct hooking, eyed for a band, the size I use most is 16
Commercial silvers Guru f1 wide gape pellet hook, size 16 or 18
Natural silvers, Guru pole special micro barb . 16,18,20 if not micro barb then Guru f1 hook again.

Philnun87

another vote for guru LWGs in spade and eyed, always been good for me.

For silvers I either go for a guru F1 pellet or if really had a Gama black. I use SFL-B’s on the feeder

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Commercials Kamasan B911 or B911 F1
Carp sessions Kamasan B911 X-Strong
Night fishing sessions Kamasan B911 on one rod, B911 X-Strong on the other
Silvers Kamasan B911

All the above in spade or eyed, depending on the situation.

And no, I'm not blinkered, I have tried other hooks and had too many failures, such as straightening out etc. B911's don't give me that problem so it's one less thing to worry about when I hit into a fish.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
Winter carp 0.13 Preston Powerline or Guru ngauge to 18 (or 16) Guru LWG ( eyed for a band , spade without )
Winter Silvers 0.10 and 0.12 Preston accu power to 20, 18 and 16 Guru F1 pellet. <--- can land carp on these with light elastic but pull too hard and hook will ping
River silvers is a little different for me as Tees at Bowesfield is deep ( top 4 , 5 or 6 ) and TBH I have not fished for a few years
Powerline 0.09 and 0.11 to B611 was my goto but TBH I would probably use 0.10 and 0.12 Accu Power when I go back.

Lighter elastics are used in winter on Commercials ( Double 5 Preston slip for carp , 1.4mm NG Ultra Core for silvers )
On rivers I use the same as too light no good when 20ft water runs!

I do carry some B911 in my box, If hook does not feel right on the day I will tie one of these on the bank ( some time I will bend the section with the point 10 deg to the main shank )

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Thanks all, much appreciated👍

I’ve gone with LWG’s and Kaizen in 16/18/20. Also stocked up with Nguage line in .11 and .13 diameters.

Will also being getting some F1 pellet to try out.

It’s a whole new world not being restricted to pre-tied patterns. So much choice!!!

JLK

Winter commie carp to 6lb
Guru LWGs

Winter commie silvers
Guru F1 Pellet

Winter natural Stillwater silvers
Guru LWGF
Preston N10s
Drennan Fine Match

Philnun87

Thanks all, much appreciated👍

I’ve gone with LWG’s and Kaizen in 16/18/20. Also stocked up with Nguage line in .11 and .13 diameters.

Will also being getting some F1 pellet to try out.

It’s a whole new world not being restricted to pre-tied patterns. So much choice!!!
I have found all of the Guru hooks I have used to be really good to be honest. I’ve used B911s before and other patterns, they’re also good hooks but I think if one brand offers most of the hooks you need it narrows it down a bit.

I use QM1s for method / bomb, x-strongs for margins and paste, LWGs spade and eyed for most of my commercial works, MWGs (eyed) if just targeting big carp on pellets and the F1 pellets for f1 and silver wok…just find my brain gets less frazzled that way with all the choice

johnjo123

Thumbs up for Kaizen, great all round hook, one warning razor sharp
hi. am i the only one that finds it hard to get the kaizen hooks out. or am i just missing a trick on how to get them out. i think they are a great hook as with all the guru hooks. but i must admit, i am thinking of stopping useing the kaizen for the fishes bennifit. if anyone has got some advice for me, that would be great

JLK

hi. am i the only one that finds it hard to get the kaizen hooks out. or am i just missing a trick on how to get them out. i think they are a great hook as with all the guru hooks. but i must admit, i am thinking of stopping useing the kaizen for the fishes bennifit. if anyone has got some advice for me, that would be great

That's what disgorgers are usually for.