Hook choice

Tom W

I mainly fish for silvers on natural venues and currently use Gamakatsu Gama black and greens for summer/winter. I am thinking of doing more commercial fishing with carp up to around 10lb. Would the Gama black still be a good fit for this or would a sturdier hook be better?

I'm also looking for suggestions for a eyed hook for banding pellets. I realise this will open a can of worms but I'd appreciate any suggestions so I can take a look at options further.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I mainly fish for silvers on natural venues and currently use Gamakatsu Gama black and greens for summer/winter. I am thinking of doing more commercial fishing with carp up to around 10lb. Would the Gama black still be a good fit for this or would a sturdier hook be better?

I'm also looking for suggestions for a eyed hook for banding pellets. I realise this will open a can of worms but I'd appreciate any suggestions so I can take a look at options further.
You wont go far wrong with b911 either normal or xstrong ,but other hooks are good to, wide gape for soft hookers

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
Preston GPM eyed up to max 0.16 line. I think Preston’s are bringing these out pre tied soon. It’s what Des Shipp uses. KKMB if need stronger line.

Ben Field

Hi Tom. Hope you're well. Pop over and see me in the shop and wadebridge from April 12th if you're not sorted by then. The Gamakatsu 2260BB would be a better option than the Gama Blacks (which I wouldn't typically use for carp or intentionally targeting many fish over about 2 or 3lb). I also have the Gama Hair Rigger hooks, along with all of the 911's and Guru options. Can easily run you through if you want to see them all in the flesh.

Tom W

Hi Tom. Hope you're well. Pop over and see me in the shop and wadebridge from April 12th if you're not sorted by then. The Gamakatsu 2260BB would be a better option than the Gama Blacks (which I wouldn't typically use for carp or intentionally targeting many fish over about 2 or 3lb). I also have the Gama Hair Rigger hooks, along with all of the 911's and Guru options. Can easily run you through if you want to see them all in the flesh.
Nice to hear from you Ben. I'm sure I will be in around then to have a look around anyway! But always good to look at things in person, and appreciate your advice.

baggy

Mark Saunders

If you like gamma blacks, try a gamma pellet. A pattern I’ve started using is the Garbolino Silvers Winter Carp, they are quite a fine gauge but they are really strong and they are as sharp as a qm1!

and Ben’s not that nice really 😝

rudd

Site Supporter
I may pop in one summer when I have lost all my rigs around Pentire and tbe Rumps! 😉

Ben Field

I may pop in one summer when I have lost all my rigs around Pentire and tbe Rumps! 😉
Easily done out there!!!! I think all my pocket money when I was a kid ended up living in those rocks. Definitely pop in and say hi!