hook boxes, used hooks

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I know lots on here pre tie hooklengths and store them in purpose made boxes, but do you throw the hook away (if not bent/blunt) at the end of a session, or do you put them back, maybe not in the same box ? I've always binned any hook, except larger ones ( 6, 4 , 2 ) on carp rigs, as they are easier to see any rust or blunt/bent points.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I always bin them, regardless of size. I start each session with a fresh hook knowing that when/if I strike, the hook will be good.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I almost always bin them, only times I use the same hook on different days is if I’m on holiday somewhere you can leave your gear set up.

Paul22

I know lots on here pre tie hooklengths and store them in purpose made boxes, but do you throw the hook away (if not bent/blunt) at the end of a session, or do you put them back, maybe not in the same box ? I've always binned any hook, except larger ones ( 6, 4 , 2 ) on carp rigs, as they are easier to see any rust or blunt/bent points.
No I don’t always bin them........ if I’ve made a rig up pole or feeder and not used them much I always reuse them.......if the rig has been hammered on the other hand it goes in the bin.
Sometimes I will reuse a hook and throw the line ..... I just use common sense....... I caught some perch a few weeks ago and they blunted the hook I know because the maggots wouldn’t hook properly so in the bin it went !

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I am more concerned about the line on a hooklength. If it has stretched enough to not be tight between the pegs in the box I don’t put it back. I throw the whole hooklength away.

Nicky Dodds

Re-use if both hook and hooklength are ok. If either is suspect the hook goes in an old hospital sharps box and the line in another tub.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
So if you are re using hooklengths, do you put them in the same box with your unused ones or another box, just in case it has moisture on it ?

Paul22

So if you are re using hooklengths, do you put them in the same box with your unused ones or another box, just in case it has moisture on it ?
I put them with my others ....... you also know you have used it first on your next session....... I’ve never had trouble with rusty hooks........ apart from the time I dropped them in the lake ?