Homelessness in Cambridge

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Just come back after walking through Cambridge city centre, where I saw several people sleeping in shop doorways, or begging, within a few yards of the University colleges, and displaying banners which said they were homeless.

Now university students throughout the UK are known for supporting organisations which campaign for justice for the disadvantaged, and I know that Gonville and Cauis college actually formed an organisation several years ago to try to tackle the problem of homelessness in Cambridge.

These people are seen by hundreds, perhaps thousands, of students every day. And Cambridge University students must be among the most capable young people in the country. So I wonder if any MDer who is local to Cambridge can explain why this is still happening?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
But are they genuinely homeless?..or just pulling a fast one? It happens in most towns/cities especially this time of year. Sheffield is a university city, yet the number of 'homeless' goes up usually first two weeks of November.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I can't see the fact that this is Cambridge has any real bearing. As we know there are homeless people all over the country.

The reasons why people are homeless and remain so are varied and complex and I am not sure there is any one solution. Students per se should not necessarily have any better idea than the rest of us how to address the issue for all concerned. We could throw millions directly at the problem and there would still be people sleeping in doorways.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
In Sutton they were dropped of en masse by a minibus in the morning.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I see one lad, more meat on a butchers pencil, not had the best of luck in life and does his best by selling a few Big issues, i bung him a Jax now and again, and once saw a lad sat under the Hand dryer in Mcdonalds one morning trying to get warm, i got him a meal and hot drink i dont mind the Genuine ones and will help anyone down on their luck.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I understand that not all may be genuine - but I wondered if any local has any inside information on it.

Neil - university students all over the UK are taking stands on all sorts of things. They have the time to attend meetings and demonstrate (in some cases for days on end) so I wondered whether they have investigated this phenomenon on their own doorstep - in cases just yards from the colleges.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I see one lad, more meat on a butchers pencil, not had the best of luck in life and does his best by selling a few Big issues, i bung him a Jax now and again, and once saw a lad sat under the Hand dryer in Mcdonalds one morning trying to get warm, i got him a meal and hot drink i dont mind the Genuine ones and will help anyone down on their luck.
Nice one pal. Respect. ?

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I can't see the fact that this is Cambridge has any real bearing. As we know there are homeless people all over the country.

The reasons why people are homeless and remain so are varied and complex and I am not sure there is any one solution. Students per se should not necessarily have any better idea than the rest of us how to address the issue for all concerned. We could throw millions directly at the problem and there would still be people sleeping in doorways.

They seem to have the answer to every other situation worldwide, Neil. :) PS. I think most were genuine as they were asleep, or at least having no eye contact with the passers-by.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Went to Newcastle city centre yesterday and most of seen 10 sitting in doorways in rain. None were asking for money.
But also seen 6 big issue sellers. All old women. All none white. All pushing the big issue in my face. I bet they not be sleeping rough

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Two or three years ago a journalist in Cambridge followed some of the so called homeless in Cambridge when they walked to their cars and then drove off,once it became clear where they were parking up on the outskirts they were followed by car to their properties on one of the estates on the edge of Cambridge,

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Went to Newcastle city centre yesterday and most of seen 10 sitting in doorways in rain. None were asking for money.
But also seen 6 big issue sellers. All old women. All none white. All pushing the big issue in my face. I bet they not be sleeping rough
Some councils have banned begging that’s why they sit there nothing saying anything. It’s your discretion if you give money.
Agree with the non white women, seen it on a programme exposing them once. They actually traveled from Eastern Europe and went home after a week while someone took their place.
Organised begging I suppose

Neskin

Im from St Neots and there have always been homeless people in Cambridge.

I dont understand why there should be any less than anywhere else?

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I moved to Oxford from Warrington and I was amazed at how many homeless,genuine or not are in the doorways down here, some had even built shelters next to railings,

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Im from St Neots and there have always been homeless people in Cambridge.

I dont understand why there should be any less than anywhere else?

My point is that students are so active and often militant in lots of areas, but this is right on their doorstep. If the people are genuine why do they not use some of their energy to correct the problem; if these people are frauds, why not campaign to have them exposed?

Do they think it's not their problem? Or are they only interested in rubbishing what Britain has done in the past (Empire, climate damage etc etc). Or are they wonderful only when they think they are winning an argument, and have lots of Nationwide support, but haven't the guts to tackle difficult problems on their doorstep - LITERALLY within yards of their colleges? Or am I being unfair?

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Every town/city in every county has homeless people. Some are homeless by circumstances, some are homeless by choice. No matter which government of whatever political party and aims is in power the street living homeless will always be there.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Governments will never solve the homelessness problem - ordinary people do that. Or do you think we should expect the government to solve all society's problems?