Home security cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi all

Hoping for some sagely advice here. My sister has just been in contact, having been getting the latest of a load of grief from the scrotebag of a son of her neighbours - a 20ish year old lad who has been in trouble with the police since the year dot but who they can't/won't seem to touch despite numerous reports/complaints etc from a whole host of residents.

Anyway, latest wheeze is going into her garden to vandalise fence, plants etc as well as her garage. Police have advised that she get some kind of camera to gather evidence. They have suggested that she does it as she can record what she likes on her own property, whereas police cameras have various what/where/when rules applied ...this is where you, the great maggotdrowning public come in.

What she needs is:
  • a relatively innocuous camera to sit inside the kitchen, pointing outwards.
  • ideally costing up to about 100 max
  • not reliant on smartphone or permanent pc hookup - an SD card would be fine.
  • advice on whether a motion sensing camera would pick up movement outside, from inside the house?

Gentlemen, over to you...

Auto

Terry
Site Supporter
Cheapest option would be a motion sensing security light and a big sign saying that CCTV is in operation. That would probably be enough the scare him away. If not then look at a recording camera system.
Try ebay for a camera system, but they're not cheap.

Auto

Terry
Site Supporter
I managed to get hold of a secondhand system on Ebay for 40 about 8 years ago and it's been running ever since. A recorder, 7 cameras and 2 monitors.
It's the "CCTV in operation" sign that's the biggest deterrent though.

Last edited:

spirit of abu

We got some a--hole kids from the rough end of the village who decided it was fun to come and kick the front door as hard as they could at 6-30am, unlucky for them I was already up and sat in my office when one of them did it.

I have to say it was very loud when this tw4t kicked the door but with nothing said to him I purchased for now a dummy camera and put it up outside, on the Monday I waited for them to all walk past then confronted them say "kick the door again and I will do the same but on your freaking head, oh and by the way could you smile for the camera next time you do it" and pointed to my new 10 camera.

They dont even walk past in three's and fours anymore and for now its done its job, have to say for 100 you can get something reasonable, even another 20 year old to give the neighbour a good shoeing would be worth it.[:D][:D]

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter
Maplin electronics shops offer wide range of CCTV options at best prices. Check their website.

spirit of abu

This aint a bad deal with free postage as well, also has night vision
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-4CH-CCTV-DVR-Home-Surveillance-Security-System-2-Night-Vision-Camera-Kit-/400557618622?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item5d431835be

Last edited:

James Dunn

James Dunn
Site Supporter
it's not a good idea to put a camera inside looking out through glass for a few reasons.
it will degrade the quality of the image even in good conditions and for what you require the image for you need a very good quality image.
sunshine on the glass will blind the camera.
rain drops on the glass will distort the image.
reflection off the glass will put a ghost image of the kitchen interior across the the image of the outside.
if the camera has a good infrared light system on it that will also flashback off the glass onto the image.

motion sensor will detect movement through glass.it will record/alarm as insects walk across the glass within the detection field of the camera i.e false alarm.

better to get an outdoor camera than do that in my opinion
[:T]

Last edited:

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thank you all - some helpful pointers here

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by spirit of abu

This aint a bad deal with free postage as well, also has night vision
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-4CH-CCTV-DVR-Home-Surveillance-Security-System-2-Night-Vision-Camera-Kit-/400557618622?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item5d431835be
I wouldn't bother with that guy....they aren't in hayes at all....they are in china/hong kong and just use a uk mailing address that's why if you order today you won't get it for 7 days!!

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
i've got a great camera on the outside of my house, full colour fantastic picture and clear sound recording...from ALDI....been using it for the past couple of years now and not regretted it [:D]

Don't forget to check out amazon, a lot of the stuff on there is for sale on ebay as well but cheaper than bay because they don't have to pay the fees [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.