Home Made Garden Riddle

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Following on from the threads on compost, gardens and gardening I thought I would share an important piece of kit I use in the garden. It is a riddle for handling bulk materials without doing your back in bending over. The idea is not mine, I saw something similar on a gardening programme and set to making one. That must be some 20 years ago.

It has two uses. First is to riddle compost when I empty a bin. Second is to riddle stones out of soil. My soil is very stony.

All the wood is scrap I had laying around. I had to buy the wheels and fixings plus the wire mesh.

IMG_20200415_112326.jpg

Basically a bottomless box on four legs. The bottom of the long sides has a ledge for the slider wheels to sit on. I have added sacrificial strips to the ledge as even with wheels the wood wears. The wheeled slider or insert is a box that fits snugly into the frame widthwise and allowing enough space lengthwise to allow it to be shaken back & forth. The mesh on the wheeled box is 2.5x1cm (1x1/2 inch). On top of the wheeled box is a frame that sits neatly in it and has 5mm (1/4 inch) mesh for the times I want a finer product. The wheeled box has four pieces of wood inside for the fine mesh frame to sit on.

This is the set-up when in use.

IMG_20200416_124157.jpg

Note I use a plastic sheet to contain the stuff that falls through. Also I place a board upright at the end I stand so the compost/soil does not fall into my boots. Also you can see that at the bottom of the right side there is no bracing on the legs. this allows me room to shovel the product out from under without having to remove the framework. I also lay another board on the ground underneath. This prevents me from tearing the plastic sheet when shoveling out the product.

The work I have undertaken in the last four weeks has seen me remove some 40+ bags of stones and old tarmac from my garden. I would guess at least two tonnes of earth and stones has passed through or been trapped by the riddle in that time.

Overall height is 95cm, width 60cm and length 83cm. The wheeled box is 50cm square.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Copyright James W. Marshall circa 1845 - Sutter's Mill - Coloma, California.

"There be gold in them thar hills" :)

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
He is using those cheap Grandslam pole sections as pit props and pegs as metre markers
Is that a spool of Maxima he has in his hand in the photo - don't be silly it's Daiwa Sensor,get the mic out :ROFLMAO:

genesis

Site Supporter
Account Locked
N/eil why dont you put one of those rubber garden waste tubs underneath to catch everything and save you shovelling.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I used to use a plastic box. But full it was too heavy for me to lift. So shovelling into a wheelbarrow is now my preferred option.

62tucker

Site Supporter
I riddle into a 80 litre big black box. Cheap off eBay as sold as a dog bath. Also mix all my compost on it and doubles as a spare tub for pond fish etc

62tucker

Site Supporter
Got my round riddles from toolstation. Metal ones and had them years. Good buy