Home made additives

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Having bought bottles of additives from the likes of Van Den Eyne, Dynamite etc for use in the groundbaits and pellet soaks I was thinking about trying to make my own versions. Aside from the actually flavourings I wondered what the bulk liquids are?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Having bought bottles of additives from the likes of Van Den Eyne, Dynamite etc for use in the groundbaits and pellet soaks I was thinking about trying to make my own versions. Aside from the actually flavourings I wondered what the bulk liquids are?

Any ideas or suggestions?
Sugar salt and water mostly.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Keep the juice after cooking hemp. I use it to mix my groundbait, corn juice is worth using as well. Got to be more attractive than just water is my thoughts 🤔
Yep, me too. I was dumbfounded to see Alan Scothorne on a world match tip the juice from a corn tin out onto the grass before putting the corn into his ground bait. I'm sure he knows better though.

Total

Site Supporter
Yep, me too. I was dumbfounded to see Alan Scothorne on a world match tip the juice from a corn tin out onto the grass before putting the corn into his ground bait. I'm sure he knows better though.

Probably didn't want to sod up the consistency/behaviour/binding etc etc of his groundbait....(y)

Total

Site Supporter
Don't know how true this is Ken but, as a youngster I was witnessing gudgeon in a fresh water tank suck small pebbles in and then spit them out again. I asked the owner why they were doing this. His answer was .... To get the salt and other minerals off the pebbles. I was mesmerized.

Have observed carp doing a similar thing with mud as well as pebbles in the past....(y)

squimp

Site Supporter
Glycerine is a good call.

Various oils would also work:
almond oil is fairly bland and often used as a carrier for other more pungent Essential oils.
any decent fish oil eg salmon oil.
sesame oil.
In cold water you might need to add an emulsifier, which you may still be able to get from carp bait ingredient suppliers. Commercial ones (eg Tween 60) are harder to source.

Other food additives to consider would include soy sauce and oyster sauce. both very salty and attractive to fish.

Even fizzy drink like coke would be a good base as it already contains plenty of sugar.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Even fizzy drink like coke would be a good base as it already contains plenty of sugar.

I’ve definitely knocked a can over coke over into my groundbait bowl at least a couple times, might have made all the difference for all I know lol

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Mixing groundbait with red bull certainly works on hard fished waters, not sure about rivers though.

Imperium

2nd the hemp water: it’s pungent stuff and essentially free as a biproduct to cooking hemp.

If anyone has any tips for keeping the Mrs pleasant after stinking the house out with cooking hemp send them my way

Silver fan 82

Don't know how true this is Ken but, as a youngster I was witnessing gudgeon in a fresh water tank suck small pebbles in and then spit them out again. I asked the owner why they were doing this. His answer was .... To get the salt and other minerals off the pebbles. I was mesmerized.
Alot of the carp boys add salt to their bait, not sure I would though 🤔

Silver fan 82

2nd the hemp water: it’s pungent stuff and essentially free as a biproduct to cooking hemp.

If anyone has any tips for keeping the Mrs pleasant after stinking the house out with cooking hemp send them my way
Try putting some in a flask, and cover with boiling water, leave overnight and you're good to go mate.